Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Zombie related graphic novels? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44042)

Cooperkill 08-28-2012 08:33 PM

Zombie related graphic novels?

Hey! I'm looking for what are considered the best graphic novels that deal with zombies. I know very little about that area of horror (graphic novels), so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Shannafey 08-29-2012 03:32 AM

The first zombie comic and one highly remembered and loved by fans is Deadworld. They are doing a 5 issue mini series right now. It has been published sporadically over the years, but originally came out in the 80s. Some of the series is collected as trades and there is a DVD-Rom out there with a good chunk of the series in PDF format.

This is a fun book I picked up recently.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mammoth-Bo...+zombie+comics

And, of course you've heard of a little book called Walking Dead as well.

Paff 08-29-2012 07:31 AM

I read one last year called We Will Bury You. It's by Brea Grant and her brother. Brea Grant is an actress, from movies like the remake of Halloween 2, and the TV show Heroes (she was Daphne the speedster - Hiro's "nemesis").

It's not bad, it concerns a zombie invasion during the roaring 20s. There's lesbians and circus freaks. I thought it was good but the end was a little lacking.

Workshed 08-29-2012 05:21 PM

Daybreak by Brian Ralph is a unique take on the zombie GN. It's from a first-person POV, and the protagonist is trying to survive, fleeing from the undead. So, it's a mostly silent comic with moments of dialogue when the protagonist comes across survivors who speak directly to "you" (since it's first-person). It's a little unsettling at first, but by the end, I was hooked. Again, it's a very different take, so do not expect mountains of gore. it's very quiet and creepy instead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
Quote:

AN ART-HOUSE TAKE ON THE CLASSIC ZOMBIE GENRE

You wake up in the rubble and see a ragged, desperate one-armed man greeting you. He takes you underground to a safe space, feeds you, offers you a place to sleep. And then announces that he’ll take the first watch. It’s not long before the peril of the jagged landscape has located you and your newfound protector and is scratching at the door. What transpires is a moment-to-moment struggle for survival—The Road meets Dawn of the Dead. Daybreak is seen through the eyes of a silent observer as he follows his protector and runs from the shadows of the imminent zombie threat. Brian Ralph slowly builds the tension of the zombies on the periphery, letting the threat—rather than the actual carnage—be the driving force. The postapocalyptic backdrop features tangles of rocks, lumber, I beams, and overturned cars that are characters in and of themselves.

Paff 08-30-2012 12:19 AM

Damn, that looks good. I'll have to pick that up. I should check all the coupons and free shipping offers I got at Comic-Con this year. Maybe there's a way to snag it relatively cheap.

Paff 07-22-2013 03:18 AM

Glad this thread existed. I was practically out the door at Comic-Con when I remembered it was here. Called it up on my smartphone, found the name (Daybreak) and the publisher (Drawn & Quartered). Looked up the dealer floor map to find D&Q's booth, headed over, and got their last copy.

I bought a shit ton of books at Con this year, no idea when I'll get to it though.

Workshed 07-22-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 743245)
Glad this thread existed. I was practically out the door at Comic-Con when I remembered it was here. Called it up on my smartphone, found the name (Daybreak) and the publisher (Drawn & Quartered). Looked up the dealer floor map to find D&Q's booth, headed over, and got their last copy.

I bought a shit ton of books at Con this year, no idea when I'll get to it though.

Rad, man. Let me know what you think when you do get to it.

Paff 08-22-2013 06:06 PM

Just finished it this week. Like almost any post-apocalyptic story, it's one you never want to end (that's the impetus behind The Walking Dead), as there really is no "end" in a world like this. No happily ever after, no resume to normal life, etc. This world is now how everything happens.

I guess my only other issue with Daybreak was the ending (haha). Not quite sure what happened, and the fact that there is almost no dialogue for the final dozen pages or so really makes you rely on your interpretation of the art. It's safe to say that
Spoiler:
the one armed guy turns into a zombie, but does the protagonist turn as well? I'm assuming he (or even she) does, as all the zombies in the final pages are seen as walking away from the protagonist rather than towards him in an attack