Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   High Definition (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Monster Squad and Night of the Demons 2 blu-rays from Olive films (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44337)

fceurich39 11-30-2012 09:00 PM

Monster Squad and Night of the Demons 2 blu-rays from Olive films

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/ho...-art-a-details

dave13 11-30-2012 09:29 PM

thats just weird news about monster squad. i mean, i get that titles get passed around, and that this probably didn't sell gangbusters for lionsgate, so it might make sense for them to drop it. but that begs the question, why did they go to all the trouble of creating that great special edition only a few years ago? i'm certainly glad they did, but it just seems like a strange business move.

and night of the demons 2 in widescreen HD with commentary is very cool. i love how Olive does absolute barebones releases for virtually everything they release, but then throws in features for titles like this and the boogens. cult horror fans seem to be catching some nice breaks lately.

Jimmy S 11-30-2012 09:43 PM

I don't care for Monster Squad but I will certainly get Night of the Demons 2. Hope the first one will be release on blu too someday even if Anchor Bay owns it and aren't who they were anymore.

chrismac87 11-30-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave13 (Post 722690)
thats just weird news about monster squad. i mean, i get that titles get passed around, and that this probably didn't sell gangbusters for lionsgate, so it might make sense for them to drop it.

Actually MONSTER SQUAD was one of the top selling titles for Lionsgate when it was released. I remember when it came out, it was outselling theatrical titles that week. Probably the only reason we saw a Blu Ray from them before they lost the rights.

fceurich39 11-30-2012 10:01 PM

doesnt olive now have Night of the Demons 3??? i still have the paramount/republic vhs!

X-human 11-30-2012 10:19 PM

Well Monster Squad got a SE on DVD in 2007, the Blu-ray came out two years later. So it makes sense for Lionsgate to put those already made extras to use on a Blu-ray like Chris said. I own the DVD but not the Blu-ray, so I'll have to see if Olive comes up with an even better transfer. Dave gave it a B+ ranking so they'd literally have to ace this. Saying "remastered in HD" can mean a lot of things so we'll see.

It's great though that Olive taking chances with these, and others, all the same.

elDomenechHDG 11-30-2012 10:55 PM

Has it been confirmed that there will be a commentary on Night of the Demons 2? I never thought I'd see this film get the Bluray treatment but it does seem like there's somebody at Olive who's a major horror fan. These little cult movies are receiving better treatment than some of the better-known classics. Can't wait for Dr. Terror's House of Horrors.

Undeadcow 11-30-2012 11:23 PM

I am excited about Night of the Demons 2; it's better than the original in my opinion.

Jimmy S 11-30-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG (Post 722699)
Has it been confirmed that there will be a commentary on Night of the Demons 2?

From the Fangoria article

"NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 will be presented in 1.78 anamorphic widescreen on the discs, with audio commentary by Trenchard-Smith and cinematographer David Lewis."

MisterTwister 12-01-2012 12:06 AM

I'll totally pick up the new NOTD 2 disc. Big fan.

othervoice1 12-01-2012 01:01 AM

Night of the Demons 2 will be mine! Just wishing to get the first one on blu as well sometime in the near future

Katatonia 12-01-2012 02:06 AM

Night of the Demons 2 on Blu-ray with commentary?! That's awesome news! :banana:

Demon 12-01-2012 02:44 AM

Olive Films product is overpriced, good luck selling a $25 Monster Squad Blu-Ray we got for $6 from Lionsgate.

shithead 12-01-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon (Post 722713)
Olive Films product is overpriced, good luck selling a $25 Monster Squad Blu-Ray we got for $6 from Lionsgate.

The LionsGate Blu is OOP. It's currently going for $50+ on Amazon.

I'll probably end up grabbing the new Blu. I only have Monster Squad on DVD at the moment...

elDomenechHDG 12-01-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon (Post 722713)

Importcds.com will likely have it for $15. It's where I have purchased the majority of the Olive Blu's. Shipping takes forever but if you order it through Amazon Marketplace it'll probably arrive sooner. Loving the new Monster Squad artwork - looks like something Shout Factory would do.