Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   High Definition (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Happy Birthday to Me/When a Stranger Calls 1979 blu-ray double feature!! (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44392)

fceurich39 12-26-2012 10:53 PM

Happy Birthday to Me/When a Stranger Calls 1979 blu-ray double feature!!

from Mill creek i seen them at walmart for 5 bucks they had about 30 copies on a Mill creek double feature display!

the artwork is from the sony dvd not the anchor bay original audio dvd so i dunno which audio it has?

Anthropophagus 12-26-2012 11:06 PM

Always had mixed feelings about Happy Birthday To Me, found it overlong, convoluted and dull in parts compared to most slasher efforts of that era.
I moved in September to a house ten minutes away from where most of the movie was filmed. It always brings a smile to my face when I drive by that mansion, it was also listed last year at a cool 1.2 million.
Interesting to note, there was a huge uproar in the community at the time of the film's release-most citizens were outraged that such a violent film was filmed in their sleepy, upscale little community. Pretty funny in retrospect.

ronnie21 12-26-2012 11:14 PM

your right. birthday could have been so much better had it cut out at least 16 mins of footage and added some nudity and didnt cut any of the original gore out.. 115 for a slasher is too long..

Anthropophagus 12-26-2012 11:18 PM

Thanks Ronnie, I agree with you about the nudity and gore. It could have benefited from some extensive editing as well, IMO.

rxfiend 12-26-2012 11:22 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll keep a look out for it.

ronnie21 12-27-2012 12:57 AM

i remember being really surprised when i saw it for the first time on cable in summer of 82 , that it didnt shed not even an ass crack or a quick titty shot...

Katatonia 12-27-2012 01:37 AM

Nice! Hopefully they have the display out at this store...but I hate going there anymore!

rxfiend 12-27-2012 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just found it at my local walmart. Here is the cover art.

SaviniFan 12-27-2012 02:57 AM

I'll be snatching that up for sure.

rxfiend 12-27-2012 03:11 AM

A quick browse through and the quality looks good. Doesn't appear to have much DNR, Stranger has a lot of grain. Not sure about the soundtrack to Birthday. Anyone know what to listen for in particular on that?

Mutilated Prey 12-27-2012 03:38 AM

Ooo, I'll be looking for this tomorrow! $5? Done!

ArrowBeach 12-27-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxfiend (Post 723779)
A quick browse through and the quality looks good. Doesn't appear to have much DNR, Stranger has a lot of grain. Not sure about the soundtrack to Birthday. Anyone know what to listen for in particular on that?

during the beginning/credits the original will have a somber piano version of the end credit song. The Sony DVD will have a upbeat, almost disco-ish score.

Nailwraps 12-27-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rxfiend (Post 723779)
Not sure about the soundtrack to Birthday. Anyone know what to listen for in particular on that?

From DVDCompare (WARNING: Spoilers!!!!):

"Musical score has been changed:
- The original VHS creepy, low-key piano and strings piece has been replaced by a fast-paced disco song.
- A different piece of instrumental music is used during the opening kill sequence as well.
- The scene where Melissa Sue Anderson is undressing for her shower originally contained a instrumental piece. Its replacement on the DVD is a completely different piece of music altogether.
- During the dance hall sequence, the disco instrumentals of the VHS version have been replaced by two actual songs with lyrics.
- Some music cues in the VHS are completely gone and scored to no music on the DVD, and vice versa. "

rxfiend 12-27-2012 04:16 AM

Listening to the intro credits and it's piano music.

rxfiend 12-27-2012 04:32 AM

On a side note, the back of the case has a quote from this site!

"It contains some great horror moments, biting social commentary and a truly great performance by Tony Beckly in his final film role." - horrordvds.com / Rhett Miller