Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is the better "bug" movie? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44567)

skinnypuppy 02-22-2013 12:50 PM

What is the better "bug" movie?

I only have enough to buy one of these movies. Which one should I buy?

The Nest

Or

Ticks

?

maybrick 02-22-2013 01:21 PM

Them.

But honestly, both the Nest and Ticks are about even. They're both just okay.

Vance Vandy 02-22-2013 01:52 PM

Ticks - better film and released by a better company. Win, win.

baggio 02-22-2013 03:46 PM

Give the edge to Ticks imo.

fattyjoe37 02-22-2013 03:54 PM

Both are a lot of fun. Not sure which one I'd pick as I've been a fan of Ticks for years and only just watched The Nest for the first time yesterday. Both have recently been released on nice Blu-rays, but the price is over $20 for each on Amazon. You can get them for cheaper on Importcds.com. Over there Ticks is $15 and The Nest is $18 before shipping. As far as the movies go, I'd say that if you want gore, go with The Nest. If you want a fun cast, including Seth Green, Ami Dolenz, and Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (as a gangbanger), go with Ticks.

KGBRadioMoskow 02-22-2013 05:36 PM

When I last purged my DVD collection, Nest got the axe, Ticks stayed. Not saying Ticks won't get cut next time, but it got the nod as a keeper over Nest.

Chomp 02-22-2013 05:40 PM

The Nest.

Ticks is just too 90's looking for me. Its a fun flick yes, but The Nest's SFX are phenomenal...like The Fly - The Thing phenomenal.

cjg 02-22-2013 06:51 PM

The Nest

skinnypuppy 02-22-2013 06:53 PM

This is going to be a tough decision tomorrow.

So far here are the results:

Ticks - 3
The Nest - 1
Tie - 3

Are there a lot of FX in The Nest? Or is it sporadic and the drama/story between the FX is boring?

Mutilated Prey 02-22-2013 07:28 PM

Haven't seen either flick to be honest, but from what I know of both I would think The Nest would be more my style. I just need to figure out if I want to sell off my sealed Concorde version and upgrade to the Blu without even having watched it yet.

fattyjoe37 02-22-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinnypuppy (Post 728496)
Are there a lot of FX in The Nest? Or is it sporadic and the drama/story between the FX is boring?

The FX in The Nest are better than those in Ticks IMO. And in The Nest there aren't just bugs, there are also mutations that result in very Fly-esque FX scenes. For me the drama in The Nest is better than in Ticks. The characters are all likeable (expect for a deliciously over-the-top female scientist) and there are some funny moments within the drama as well, thanks to a quirky exterminator character. Ticks is more of just a fun ride with very stereotypical characters (evil hillbillies, gangbanger, diva, etc.) If you care at all about filmographies, Ticks is from the director of Hellraiser II and The Nest is the directorial debut of the co-writer of The Howling. Hope this helps, both are a good time with killer bugs.

dickieduvet 02-22-2013 07:28 PM

Buy Bug (1975) instead ;)

CPT HOOK 02-22-2013 07:37 PM

Definitely Ticks. It has more replay value.

KGBRadioMoskow 02-22-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickieduvet (Post 728501)
Buy Bug (1975) instead ;)

The touching story of a man and his love affair with a pyrokinetic cockroach.

Honestly I remember being fascinated by the rampant bug weirdness of this as a kid, but after rewatching it a couple years ago it was much less creepy for the bug angle (which played to a lot of 70's concepts of "plot twists" and paranormal science that just ring tired today) than for the behavior of the main character. Overall it wasn't a keeper for me, not weird enough to keep just on that merit, not a good enough movie overall for the existing weird quota to put it over the bar. Probably worth watching at least once, though.

Cooperkill 02-22-2013 08:56 PM

Ticks. Big time.