Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Site Polls (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Larry Cohen Movie (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44655)

rhett 03-30-2013 11:45 PM

Best Larry Cohen Movie

Despite having a directorial resume of 21 films and a writing credit on over 80 properties, the New York auteur doesn't get recognized much these days the way he should. Cohen hasn't directed a film since his Masters of Horror segment in 2006 and hasn't written a script in over 5 years. That doesn't mean we'll forget him, though!

Let's look back through the movies Cohen helmed as a director...which one is your favorite?

DVD-fanatic-9 03-30-2013 11:54 PM

Q the Winged Serpent. Michael Moriarty's character was kind of a scumbag... and his performance and the writing made me care about him and even agree with a lot of what he was saying. Excellent character motivation. Damn fine socio-political commentary too (and very ahead of its' time: Rupert Murdoch name-drop). Also, I loved the monster, the camerawork was great, and it was unpredictable in all the best ways.

Candy Clark worked my last nerve though.

Vance Vandy 03-31-2013 12:46 AM

God Told Me To, followed by The Ambulance, A Return to Salem's Lot and Full Moon High. I never cared for any of the It's Alive movies or The Stuff at all.

dave13 03-31-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 (Post 731454)
Q the Winged Serpent. Michael Moriarty's character was kind of a scumbag... and his performance and the writing made me care about him and even agree with a lot of what he was saying. Excellent character motivation. Damn fine socio-political commentary too (and very ahead of its' time: Rupert Murdoch name-drop). Also, I loved the monster, the camerawork was great, and it was unpredictable in all the best ways.

Agreed, Q is fantastic. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but Cohen's off-beat style has grown on me over the last few years. And of all the one's I've seen (probably less than half of what's up there), out of all the one's that I now like very much (God Told Me Too, It's Alive, It Lives Again), Q is at the top of the list. It's pretty hysterically funny at some points, too ("Eat him! Eat him! Ca-runch! Ca-runch!").

Mutilated Prey 03-31-2013 02:00 AM

Q for me. This flick got a lot of play for me as a kid. On HBO quite a bit and still wore our my dubbed VHS. I'm long overdue for a viewing.

fceurich39 03-31-2013 02:02 AM

The Stuff has always been my favorite followed closely by Q and God Told Me To

Katatonia 03-31-2013 02:25 AM

I like a lot of his films, but God Told Me To would probably be my favorite.

I also really like Wicked Stepmother, even though it was a problematic production and generally considered a pretty bad movie.

ReelFear 03-31-2013 05:28 AM

Larry Cohen will be appearing in person as a guest at the upcoming CHILLER THEATRE in April. This event will be held in Parsippany, NJ. Can't wait to meet him and have him sign my Q original vinyl soundtrack!

Anthropophagus 03-31-2013 04:01 PM

Q for me, one of my all time favorites. I love how they mix the feel of a seventies urban crime exploitation drama with the classic monster film. The cast is incredible too, in particular, Michael Moriarty in a tour de force performance as the troubled anti-hero.
Also, the early shot of the woman sunbathing stayed with me as a kid. LOL.
Great film.

satans-sadists 03-31-2013 05:53 PM

Larry Cohen films are never boring. His dvd commentary tracks are always informative and entertaining.

Of the Cohen films I have seen, here are my top five:

Q: The Winged Serpent
God Told Me To
The Stuff
Hell Up In Harlem
It's Alive

Anaestheus 03-31-2013 09:17 PM

There are a few on this list that I haven't seen yet. But, I doubt any of them will surpass "God Told Me To"

But, the "It's Alive" trilogy is probably a great example of how to make sequels that really expand upon the themes and world of the original. If taken as a whole, I think that's probably the best thing he's directed.

But, I will also add that I think his best work overall is the script for "Phone Booth" It's a masterpiece of high-concept gimmick.

He's truly one of the most imaginative writers out there.

shape22 04-01-2013 12:27 AM

I'm with the majority on this one. Q has all the elements of the ideal low-budget creature feature: a witty script, charming old school effects, the expected graphic violence and nudity, and a strong cast giving enthusiastic performances. Cohen's enthusiasm for the genre and playful incorporation of visual gags results in a whole lot of fun.

Erick H. 04-02-2013 06:16 AM

I often think Cohen's films feature "A+" IDEAS but are compromised by weak elements,be they budgetary,performance or simply schuduling.Though I can TELL a Cohen film by the feel of it and consider myself a fan I have to admit they vary considerably as to how successful they are.I too am gonna vote for Q here,it may not be his deepest film but it might be the one that hangs together best.For a Cohen movie it is well produced (the old school stop motion effects are charming) and it has a strong cast,including a great Michael Moriarty,Candy Clark,David Carradine and Richard Roundtree to keep it humming.Rather quotable too.Most of Cohen's pics are worth a look but Q is one of his most effective and most polished.

unclefred 04-04-2013 05:39 PM

If I only get one, it would be Q.

spawningblue 04-04-2013 06:36 PM

I like every movie I have seen of his. That being said I need to still see a lot of them including Q and God Told Me To, so I didn't vote. As of right now though my favourite is The Stuff, such a crazy fun flick with some great practical effects.