Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Citadel (2012) (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44692)

maybrick 04-12-2013 04:46 AM

Citadel (2012)

If you have Netflix streaming then I suggest that you check this movie out. I read about it in Horrorhound a while back and it sounded interesting, but a bit dirivative of modern kiddie killer films like THEM. Well all I can tell you is HOLLEEE ****!!!! This movie was amazing and absolutely what has been missing from modern films! Picture The Brood combined with elements of The Fog in a desolate urban location that is about as close to Silent Hill as you can get without going into Hell itself and you may get an idea. The atmosphere is blique as ****, there's no stupid Hollywood ******** climax upon climax ending or boss battle at the end. Just an extemely satifisying 85 minutes of tense, chilling terror! These have the first creatures in a long time to give me the chills.

**** the new Evil Dead and it's "The Most Frightening Film You've Ever Seen" ********. This film is ten times better. Can't wait to see it again!

*This post has been scrubbed, sanitized, and purged of it's foul and unclean language by order of Jebus Christ.

eric_angelus 04-12-2013 05:46 AM

I enjoyed this as well. Nice low key suspense with some very memorable moments.

ReelFear 04-12-2013 05:49 AM

I was very excited for CITADEL. I wanted to love it. But for some reason I felt a little disappointed by the time it ended. I would still recommend seeing it, of course. Theres a lot of paranoia and terror, and you have to admire what was achieved on a low budget. Perhaps on a second viewing I may grow to like it even more.

Ash28M 04-13-2013 04:08 AM

Yeah I actually felt it was pretty bland. Didn't do much for me at all. It did have everything it needed to be good, it just never got there.

maybrick 04-13-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash28M (Post 732676)
Yeah I actually felt it was pretty bland. Didn't do much for me at all. It did have everything it needed to be good, it just never got there.

Well then obviously it didn't have everything that it needed then, like outrageous gore and plotholes up the ying yang.

BloodMan 04-13-2013 08:13 AM

Started off good...really good.... then got really lame... I'd prefer if it went full on bonkers gory with chainsaws and fire and blood rain..... but can't have everything. :D

maybrick 04-13-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodMan (Post 732693)
Started off good...really good.... then got really lame... I'd prefer if it went full on bonkers gory with chainsaws and fire and blood rain..... but can't have everything. :D

Well I for one am glad that it didn't have any of that stuff. In horror films today, things like excessive gore, chainsaws, and blood rain are horribly, horribly cliched.

scott71670 04-13-2013 09:07 PM

Saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I found it one of the more beautiful and life affirming stories I've seen when viewed with a Jungian perspective where the Father, the Hero and the Child were all parts of the main character... not literally, but in the symbolic processes.

Anaestheus 04-25-2013 07:14 PM

There certainly is a lot to praise about this film. The thing that I really held on to is how interesting and unconventional the story is. Yeah, it borrows a lot from The Brood, but one certainly can't say that it's well-worn ground there. And, they definitely took a lot of time with the atmosphere and the look of the film. In that respect it reminded me a lot of Let the Right One In.

But, for some reason, I just didn't get engaged in the story. There were definitely things that I wish had been done differently. As much as I loved the idea behind the traumatized main character, weak and crippled with agoraphobia, it was almost a bit too much. Particular when saddled with the overall message about fear and victimization, which was handled a bit heavily. Granted, I love that message, and even more love for the fact that the film actually was trying to say something, but it came up a bit too obviously.

I also really felt that something was missing with the kids. The background story is pretty well fleshed out, but they lacked a certain presence or menace. I can't quite put my finger on what was missing. And, I know it's not fair to say, but there was something about the kids in The Brood that really worked well and whatever that was was missing from Citadel.

Despite my negativity though, it was pretty good and definitely a breath of fresh air. It just left me wanting. Fans of The Brood will probably want to take a look though, just to see a different take on a similar story. And, I also think that those who appreciated the atmosphere of Let the Right One In will appreciate this as well.

Katatonia 04-25-2013 07:46 PM

It was an okay film, and did indeed have a few creepy parts, but I honestly didn't find it all that engaging. I think the film could have been executed far better, especially the pacing and characters.

It was worth the rental, but just wasn't a film I'll be itching to see again very soon.

cjg 04-27-2013 06:02 PM

I thought it sucked, now Amazon wont let me resell it along with some other blind buy crap I have bought recently like Presidents Day and Cherry Tree Lane which may be two of the worst Horror movies of the year.

CPT HOOK 04-27-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjg (Post 733891)
I thought it sucked, now Amazon wont let me resell it along with some other blind buy crap I have bought recently like Presidents Day and Cherry Tree Lane which may be two of the worst Horror movies of the year.

Amazon would never let me sell HBO DVDs. Makes me regret blind-buying The Wire and Entourage, because they have no replay value.