Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Classic (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44729)

booper71 04-25-2013 10:49 PM

Anyone watch Svengoolie on Saturday nights?

I've been enjoying his 2 hour show since it appeared on ME-TV awhile back. "The Creature Walks Among Us" is on this weekend.

Anthropophagus 04-25-2013 10:57 PM

I've always had a fascination with the horror host phenomena, we've been relatively deprived here in Canada.
I also love the 'Creature', why oh why do we not have access to this!?!

X-human 04-26-2013 12:05 AM

Yes I've been watching him the past few years now. Locally here in Chicago they show the previous week's episodes Saturday mornings at 11AM. So I'll watch him during my lunch so I'm always a week behind. 9PM CST is my bedtime so I can't stay up and watch him. Last time I tried I fell asleep!

Rich Koz had a heart attack last Thanksgiving and they've been doing a lot of re-runs since. He just bought a new coffin for the show so hopefully we'll get at least one more season before he starts considering retiring. With him gone and Elvira gone there won't be much left. :(

rxfiend 04-26-2013 12:17 AM

I watch it sometimes. They usually play Universal horror films (as of late anyway).

othervoice1 04-26-2013 01:30 AM

We currently just started getting Wolfman Mac Chiller Drive In Theatre on Saturday nights on our local TV (its filmed in Michigan I believe) - I love having a hosted horror movie back on Saturday nights- reminds me of when I was a young lad!

Anthropophagus 04-26-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by othervoice1 (Post 733712)
We currently just started getting Wolfman Mac Chiller Drive In Theatre on Saturday nights on our local TV (its filmed in Michigan I believe) - I love having a hosted horror movie back on Saturday nights- reminds me of when I was a young lad!

According to the Facebook page it seems this will soon be off the air.

Shannafey 04-26-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by othervoice1 (Post 733712)

It is filmed in Michigan and I was getting that too and enjoying it, then that station got yanked. :(

othervoice1 04-26-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

According to the Facebook page it seems this will soon be off the air.
Well that figures - maybe we will still get reruns (sniff)

booper71 04-26-2013 03:43 AM

I like Wolfman Mac as well, hopefully he sally forths.

maybrick 04-26-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-human (Post 733705)
With him gone and Elvira gone there won't be much left. :(

Actually, with the advent of public access and the internet, there is a thriving subculture and there are more active horror hosts now than there has ever been. Granted, the level is talent is all over the place and there are more bad ones than good, but that's pretty much the way of everything, isn't it?

One to check out is www.horrorhost.net, but I know there are 1 or 2 other similar sites that run horror host shows 24/7 out there. I just can't think of them at the moment.

Erick H. 04-26-2013 05:50 AM

Our local host was Dr.Madblood,he was on from 1975-till after 2000 (in various formats and various channels) and he still does a Halloween show every year on our local PBS station.Also a frequent guest/host of horror conventions in the area and occasionally has screenings of horror classics at a nearby arthouse.Great guy.

booper71 04-26-2013 11:47 AM

Most of the current crop of horror hosts use public domain movies or micro budget indie horror.

maybrick 04-26-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booper71 (Post 733733)
Most of the current crop of horror hosts use public domain movies or micro budget indie horror.

That's true. For profit Stations today won't run horror host programs in the middle of the night because they've learned that its more profitable to run infomercials. Yet another good reason why I refuse to pay for cable! :fuck:

wago70 04-26-2013 03:58 PM

I watch every Saturday night right after "Lost in Space" and "Star Trek" (the original!) Last year, I'd watch his show on MeTV which showcases the Universal films and then I'd switch over to another station at 1:00 a.m and watch his public domain showcase flicks. We only have his Universal offerings now which is preferred (and a better broadcast quality to boot).

rxfiend 04-27-2013 01:37 AM

Yeah, ME-TV has an awesome Saturday night line up. Starts out with a hour of the 60s Batman, then Lost in Space, Star Trek and Svengoolie ending out the night.