Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   High Definition (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Last American Virgin (Arrow Video) / 23rd September (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44739)

Demoni 04-26-2013 01:55 PM

The Last American Virgin (Arrow Video) / 23rd September

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...12304715_n.jpg

THE COMEDY THAT PUTS ZIP INTO BEING A TEEN…

Gary, Rick and David are American teens with one thing on their mind. They move from party to party, trying out their latest chat-up lines, which usually ends in miserable failure for Gary, as he's more interested in finding true romance than a quick fumble in someone's parents' bedroom. So when Karen arrives at their school, Gary falls head over heels in love, but Rick's baser intentions towards her threaten to break up their friendship for good.

Championed by Eli Roth (Hostel) as one of the most underrated films of its era, The Last American Virgin is a raucous but also surprisingly intelligent and sobering look at the hideousness of growing up, peer pressures, misplaced expectations and unforeseen consequences.

It's also a superb snapshot of the early Eighties music scene, with the soundtrack featuring Blondie, Devo, The Human League, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Police, U2 and many others.

Special Features:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the film, available in the UK for the first time!
- Original uncompressed PCM Stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Optional Isolated Music & Effects track
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new interview with director Boaz Davidson
- Brand new interviews with stars Lawrence Monoson and Diane Franklin
- Brand new interview with cinematographer Adam Greenberg
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Red Dress
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and publisher Robin Bougie and an interview with The Last American Virgin super fan Eli Roth conducted by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

elDomenechHDG 04-26-2013 02:00 PM

Jaw-dropping!! I want this now!

Demoni 04-26-2013 02:01 PM

And where is Lemon Popsicle???

booper71 04-26-2013 02:25 PM

The guy in this get's so used, but then again that is a pretty realistic representation of what guys dealt with in the 80s.

fattyjoe37 04-26-2013 03:17 PM

Release of the year for me! Arrow is rocking it in the UK almost as much as Shout! is in the states.

SickNick89 04-26-2013 03:32 PM

One of my all time favorite movies

Paff 04-26-2013 06:15 PM

One of the best things that happened to me in the last year or so was when I found the original soundtrack LP at a rundown used record store. That's a really rare record, usually goes for $75 or so on E-bay, I got it at $7. The Tommy Tutone (main theme) and Oingo Boingo songs only appear on that record.

As for the movie itself, I used to empathize with Gary, but when I watch it now I see what a total creep he was. He deserved what he got.

Mattapooh 04-26-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 733789)
As for the movie itself, I used to empathize with Gary, but when I watch it now I see what a total creep he was. He deserved what he got.

Ah, that's the transition from boyhood to manhood. You've taken the red pill and seen the truth: that being a beta will only result in heartbreak.

In all seriousness, this is such a truthful movie for teenage boys. What a suckerpunch of an ending. Pretty much the Citizen Kane of 80s sex comedies.

Katatonia 04-26-2013 07:35 PM

Wow, never expected this one to even hit Blu-ray, and certainly not in a packed special edition.

Love the artwork!

Paff 04-26-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattapooh (Post 733793)
Ah, that's the transition from boyhood to manhood. You've taken the red pill and seen the truth: that being a beta will only result in heartbreak.

Oh, I could put up with Gary being a beta; hell, I can identify with it.

But it's the creepy shit that he does that I notice now.
1. Falls in love with Karen just upon seeing her. Oh yeah, I know it's a movie, and pressed for time, but it's still a bit creepy when he first sees her
2. Does the stunt of letting the air out of her bike tires to give her a ride to school. Ted Bundy would be proud.
3. Is a total dick to her when driving her....pretending to forget her name.
4. Cockblocks his friend
5. Seems a little too comfortable "playing house" with her at the end. Doesn't want to take her out, just wants to "own" her.

ronnie21 04-26-2013 11:03 PM

yeah sadly its an region freee blu ray player only. Why cant they put this out here in the states. I will hold on to mgm dvd but i wonder if this one will have the human league song in it that was cut from the mgm dvd? if it does. i really would want it..Hopefully it will come out here in the states someday.

elDomenechHDG 04-27-2013 12:21 AM

Has Shout released any 80's teen sex comedies? It may not be their cup of tea. And now they're branching out into Gothic horror so they may have even less of a budget (or desire) for these kinds of movies. Also disappointed they didn't grab Squirm or Motel Hell.

Undeadcow 04-27-2013 03:21 AM

This looks like a quirky movie; I really should go region free with all these quality Arrow titles.

Edit: Edited to remove incorrect information.

ronnie21 04-27-2013 04:04 AM

link please??

fattyjoe37 04-27-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 733841)
Shout Factory just announced their North America release of The Last American Virgin on Facebook today.

I didn't see it on their page, just a fan asking if they were going to release it. If they are though, then it'll all come down to special features for me to decide which one to get. Just happy this gem is finally getting a special edition.