Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Upgrading a film to blu-ray sounds good until... (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44747)

maybrick 05-01-2013 12:35 AM

Upgrading a film to blu-ray sounds good until...

..you realize that the last time you watched that particular film was when you just bought it on DVD. Anybody else have that dilemma? I am more and more, most recently with The Vampire Lovers. I love Hammer and once upon a time I took it upon myself to buy all of their films. But ultimately I don't revisit them that often. With the Vampire Lovers, I want the new disc, but so far I haven't even justified my original purchase yet. I would have been better off simply renting it and saving 10 bucks.

booper71 05-01-2013 01:36 AM

I haven't revisited the Evil Dead Trilogy or Halloween in years and don't plan to on Blu for some time. I feel they wore out their welcome with so many different versions being available on DVD.

Shannafey 05-01-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booper71 (Post 734070)
I haven't revisited the Evil Dead Trilogy or Halloween in years and don't plan to on Blu for some time. I feel they wore out their welcome with so many different versions being available on DVD.

So true! But I did buy Evil Dead 2 on Blu.

maybrick 05-01-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannafey (Post 734086)
So true! But I did buy Evil Dead 2 on Blu.

:lol: Definitely! Target had it for so cheap it was impossible to resist, especially with all of the extras.

X-human 05-01-2013 03:26 AM

Ingrid Pitt having nude lesbian sleep overs is something I'll watch again and again in HD gladly, so no I don't get what you mean by using Vampire Lovers as an example. :sperm:

But yes I've learned to be more objective in what I buy either on Blu-ray or even DVD. When Blu-ray first came out I found myself snatching up anything remotely in the realm of interest, after a couple of years I realized I was making the same mistake I was making with DVD.

Fortunately I found myself putting off many DVD purchases in the end because I was waiting for the eventual Blu-ray. This mindset gave my years of practice to eventually build up the will to pass on titles I may only have a passing interest in. Now if I'm not 100% positive I'll be constantly revisiting something I'll rent before I buy.

russweiss 05-07-2013 04:57 AM

There are certain titles I just want in my collection even if I won't watch them time and time again. Vampire Lovers (and just about any other Hammer title) is certainly one of them.

SaviniFan 05-07-2013 02:22 PM

I don't want to march to the same tune here as it can make for a boring thread, but I have for the most part been VERY selective with what I purchase on blu-ray. I will 99% of the time only buy a title I'm already familiar with and know that I will revisit it at least a couple of times. I was an impulse buyer with DVD, sometimes just for the sake of fluffing up the number of movies in my collection. No more.

Stige 05-07-2013 02:53 PM

I promised myself I wouldn't, but I found myself buying films I have only watched once when bought maybe years ago. Maybe I should REALLY consider this better in the future

bigdaddyhorse 05-07-2013 05:33 PM

Upgrading a film to blu-ray sounds good until...

... you find out it's hardly any better than the dvd, covered in dnr and missing most extras. I try to read reviews for everything now before buying.

baggio 05-07-2013 05:45 PM

There is a big list of Olive Films & Shout Factory movies that I want on Blu-Ray.

But it's so hard to justify paying over $20 for a Blu. And the prices almost never seem to drop. These films should be under $10 now. Especially the ones that have been out about a year. I made some mistakes with dvd, I'm not doing it with Blu-Ray. But dam those prices don't move.

spawningblue 05-10-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggio (Post 734578)
There is a big list of Olive Films & Shout Factory movies that I want on Blu-Ray.

But it's so hard to justify paying over $20 for a Blu. And the prices almost never seem to drop. These films should be under $10 now. Especially the ones that have been out about a year. I made some mistakes with dvd, I'm not doing it with Blu-Ray. But dam those prices don't move.

Check ImportCDs. They have great prices on Olive titles and Shout/ Scream sometimes as well.

In Canada, Amazon.ca has had great prices on Shout/ Scream titles as well.

baggio 05-10-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spawningblue (Post 734834)
Check ImportCDs. They have great prices on Olive titles and Shout/ Scream sometimes as well.

In Canada, Amazon.ca has had great prices on Shout/ Scream titles as well.

Thank you, I will check ImportCDs out.

CPT HOOK 05-10-2013 09:15 PM

^ They usually have a 10% off sale in June, so you might want to hold off a month if you can...

Workshed 05-10-2013 09:20 PM

I'm not purchasing anything on Blu that I already own on DVD.

Paff 05-10-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Workshed (Post 734871)
I'm not purchasing anything on Blu that I already own on DVD.

I mostly try to stick to that principle, although I have slipped a few times. Most of my Blu Ray double dips were movies that I had on Laserdisc (but not DVD), so there is indeed a quality jump for me.

There are a few exceptions though, like Pulp Fiction, which I've owned on VHS, Laserdisc (3 different versions!!), DVD, and now Blu-Ray. Some of the Bond movies have been double-dipped for me as well, but only the ones I like. The lesser films I'm just keeping on DVD.
Carrie was probably a bad choice to buy, as the quality is still pretty much the same, and the Blu does not have the boatload of extras that the DVD has, so I'm forced to keep both.
I saw mediocre reviews of Jackie Chan's Police Story movies, so I'm passing on the Blu there and sticking with the DVD.