Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MAMA any good??? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44765)

fceurich39 05-07-2013 10:05 PM

MAMA any good???

seen it came out on dvd and Blu-ray today was just wondering if anybody seen it???

Workshed 05-07-2013 11:03 PM

I really enjoyed it. Great visuals, scares, and surprisingly strong performances from the child actors. The ending is not something I thought I'd ever see in a PG-13 film. Recommended.

Cooperkill 05-07-2013 11:10 PM

I thought the concept had a lot of potential, but that two kids who raised themselves in the woods for five years were hurried into the care of a ridiculously unqualified couple killed the overall vibe. Plus, most every scare was a jolting sound effect, which is always a copout.

booper71 05-07-2013 11:16 PM

Isn't this a fifteen minute film stretched into a feature length remake?

Anthropophagus 05-07-2013 11:32 PM

I did not absolutely love it, but I dug it enough to buy the Blu-Ray.
It had a very fairy tale quality to it which made some of the CGI more tolerable.
I was able to immerse myself in the fantasy of it and enjoy it for what it is.
Nothing too shocking or horrifying, but a unique concept pulled off with flair.
Jessica Chastain was good in this, and much less grating than in Zero Dark Thirty, at least for me.
I would recommend it.

russweiss 05-07-2013 11:49 PM

Thought the film was well done. Both my daughter and I enjoyed it. Also it was well enough received that Scary Movie 5 made fun of it within months of being released. Certainly worth viewing.

Erick H. 05-08-2013 08:27 AM

It's well directed and acted with some standout scenes.The ending was a bit more literal (in terms of the effects) than I would have liked but the windup is effective.Well worth a look.

Anthropophagus 05-09-2013 04:13 AM

Watched it for the second time tonight and it has really grown on me.
The originality of the concept and fairy tale quality mixed with the genuine sense of pathos makes it a very unique film.

Katatonia 05-09-2013 06:06 AM

I thought it was pretty good, and definitely had a few genuinely creepy moments. This is probably a film where I'll see "more" subtle background details upon reviewings.

The child actors were exceptionally believable in this too.

marcx 05-13-2013 08:18 PM

I just posted my review to my blog:

http://living24fps.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/mama/

Mok 07-02-2013 04:22 PM

Watched this last night and I thought it was great. The plot crumbles at the end but by then I was already sold on it. Great film for people who liked Ju-On.

Also, I couldn't find any threads on it but The Woman In Black with Daniel Radcliffe was excellent. A hell of a lot better than I hoped it would be. I hope Hammer makes more films of this quality. Great set pieces and effective scares.

Strangely enough, both of these films steal a scene scare from The Eye. Both were very effective.

Workshed 07-02-2013 06:18 PM

All right, I'll add that Radcliffe film to my queue. RELUCTANTLY.

Paff 07-02-2013 06:27 PM

I suppose I'll have to add this to my Netflix queue then.

Funny you mention The Woman in Black, as I just watched that a few weeks ago, and also got the same impression: better than I imagined it would be for a PG-13 horror film. They went to the "surprise" jump-scare way too many damn times, but there were a few sequences that were genuinely unsettling.

Paff 07-15-2013 07:16 PM

Watched Mama over the weekend. It was ok, but I think The Woman in Black was a far better "PG-13" horror film. The one thing that Mama really had going for it was the dream sequence midway through the movie. That was downright unsettling. Rest of the movie was just "weird shit appears on the wall". I think more could have been done with it. I'll watch the short film on the Blu Ray before I send it back to Netflix, maybe it's an idea that only has about 15 minutes worth of material in it, not an hour and forty.

thrashard76 07-19-2013 11:41 PM

This movie was good, not as good as Insidious or Sinister but decent. The ending was a bit drawn out but the story itself was very good. The sisters were compelling as "real sisters" should be. It was well worth the time invested.