Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Reader Polls (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Worst Horror Remake by Box Office (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44792)

Hellbilly 05-14-2013 10:02 AM

Worst Horror Remake by Box Office

According to boxofficemojo these are the 20 most profitable (domestic) horror remakes made so far. Deserving? You decide.

maybrick 05-14-2013 12:17 PM

Out of the list, The Haunting took the biggest shit on the original. Instead of an atmospheric and restrained psychological chiller we got a loud and extremely stupid CGI action extravaganza. It's one of those films when you've got to wonder why they bothered using the title if they were going to change absolutely everything that made the film a classic to begin with.

SaviniFan 05-14-2013 12:39 PM

Out of the ones that I have seen, Halloween. I really enjoyed The Devil's Rejects, but Halloween was a turd sandwich.

evildeadfan123 05-14-2013 12:43 PM

I have seen a few of the remakes at the movie theater, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Friday The 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead, and Prom Night. I voted Prom Night, because it was completely lame. Me and my husband saw it, and there was a group of teenages in about two rows in front of us, and the movie was just stupid, and I didn't enjoy it at all, maybe because it was PG-13, and when it comes to a horror film, I want at least a R Rating. I really enjoyed My Bloody Valentine 3D and Friday the 13th, but that could be because Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki were in both of them, and Evil Dead remake, I saw it two times in a span of two weeks, and I don't see remakes more than once at the movie theater, and I'm a die hard Evil Dead fan.

Mutilated Prey 05-14-2013 01:16 PM

The Prom Night remake sucked it big time.

Shlockjock81 05-14-2013 01:20 PM

I can't believe "When a Stranger Calls" and "Prom Night" grossed more than "The Hills Have Eyes".

Steel76 05-14-2013 01:45 PM

Yeah, I loved "Hills have Eyes" remake.

The remake was actually one of the rare ones that actually improved over the original, as I never really liked the original.

hots4 05-14-2013 02:22 PM

it was a difficult choice from the ones i've seen it was either nightmare on elm street or the omen, i went for the omen, but both are lazy, sorry excuses for remakes, the omen just being slightly more souless.

spawningblue 05-14-2013 07:15 PM

I actually don't mind most of them. The only ones on that list that I hated were The Ring 2 and The Haunting. Both were pretty bad but I ultimately went with The Ring 2. Halloween could fit in there as well. Still haven't seen the Prom Night or Stepford Wives remake. If The Fog made more money it would be the winner for me as worst remake.

dave13 05-14-2013 07:27 PM

I haven't seen Prom Night, When a Stranger Calls, or The Stepford Wives. Based on what I've heard of them, if I had, one of them would probably get my vote. As it is, the worst of the lot are definitely Thir13en Ghosts (such a stupid way to spell the title), The Omen, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Ring Two, and The Haunting. Thir13en Ghosts was a huge letdown, after the fun of the House on Haunted Hill remake. The Omen felt like the Psycho remake, where it was almost a carbon copy of the original, just lacking all of it's impact and class. I remember almost nothing about The Ring Two, except that it was dumb and really weird (not in a good way). And The Haunting was a big, loud, obnoxious spectacle when the absolute best aspect of the original was how subtle and restrained it was. But the Nightmare on Elm Street remake was so painfully wrong in every way, from the casting to the script to the atrocious use of CGI, it was cripplingly dull. Easily the worst of the lot (at least that i've seen).

Katatonia 05-14-2013 07:31 PM

There's a bunch of turds on the list, and it's tough to choose which was the worst.

I went with Halloween overall — seeing a whiny little Michael Myers is enough to spoil anything. The cameos were the sole things that saved that train wreck from being total diarrhea.

Dishonorable mentions to The Ring Two, The Omen, Thirteen Ghosts and Prom Night.

Ptflea2 05-14-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaviniFan (Post 735193)
Out of the ones that I have seen, Halloween. I really enjoyed The Devil's Rejects, but Halloween was a turd sandwich.

No, it was a giant douche :D

Paff 05-14-2013 08:21 PM

So happy that my tastes are discerning enough that I've only seen three of those movies, four when I watch The Woman in Black off my DVR. I don't think Halloween counts, as I only fast forwarded it to get to Danielle Harris topless.

So I'll go with the one I was dragged to see, the Friday the 13th remake (had my friends not suggested it, there's NO WAY I'd have seen this by now).

dave13 05-14-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 735226)
So happy that my tastes are discerning enough that I've only seen three of those movies, four when I watch The Woman in Black off my DVR. I don't think Halloween counts, as I only fast forwarded it to get to Danielle Harris topless.

So I'll go with the one I was dragged to see, the Friday the 13th remake (had my friends not suggested it, there's NO WAY I'd have seen this by now).

what are the other two?

Paff 05-14-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave13 (Post 735231)
what are the other two?

The Ring, which is an example of a good remake. Not really needed, but still done well.

The other was Dawn of the Dead, which I considered voting for because so many seem to think it's a "good remake", when I think it was a pile of shit.