Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Friday the 13th rights back with Paramount (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44864)

mclay18 06-05-2013 07:24 PM

Friday the 13th rights back with Paramount

Well, the rights to make sequels, that is. Apparently Warner Brothers was so keen to co-finance Interstellar with Paramount, they agreed to relinquish their co-financing rights to make another Friday the 13th film and another South Park film back to Paramount.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...er-bros-562879

There is a catch: Paramount has five years to make the follow-ups.

Mok 06-05-2013 07:32 PM

They should make one with Kane Hodder again. No one that ever called themselves a fan could resist seeing that in theaters.

rxfiend 06-05-2013 07:35 PM

Kind of an odd deal IMO. I'm surprised Paramount even wants to finance another F13 film. Didn't it take New Line, MTV Films and Paramount to finance the last one? It'd be funny if Paramount would pump out a few sequels in the next five years, perhaps retiring their Paranormal Activity series.

baggio 06-05-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mok (Post 736912)
They should make one with Kane Hodder again. No one that ever called themselves a fan could resist seeing that in theaters.

Dam straight. +1

deepred 06-05-2013 07:44 PM

I believe Paramount financed FvJ and Friday the 13th remake because even though New Line had the rights to Jason, they did not have the rights to use all the elements from Friday the 13th I-VIII.

maybrick 06-05-2013 07:45 PM

A lot of people will disagree im sure, but they should make a string of these on the cheap, DTV. How hard could it be? The main audience for these doesn't really want to see any variation from the original set structure. Obnoxious kids in the woods taking drugs and getting killed in creative ways. That is it. It doesn't need any name stars. The hockey mask is star enough. Set a budget at 5-8 million per film max and get cracking. Watch the money come pouring in. Seriously, I don't think that it could get much easier. Just no shaky cam found footage BS!!!

Mok 06-05-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybrick (Post 736919)
A lot of people will disagree im sure, but they should make a string of these on the cheap, DTV. How hard could it be? The main audience for these doesn't really want to see any variation from the original set structure. Obnoxious kids in the woods taking drugs and getting killed in creative ways. That is it. It doesn't need any name stars. The hockey mask is star enough. Set a budget at 5-8 million per film max and get cracking. Watch the money come pouring in. Seriously, I don't think that it could get much easier. Just no shaky cam found footage BS!!!

I'd be cool with that. It might be cool to make a F13 anthology or something with a few different directors (maybe new ones).

deepred 06-05-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

I agree - they are not hard movies to make and I would love if they had the low-budget (yet professional) look like the old Paramount ones.

Also, give us Jason in the snow!

baggio 06-05-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Set a budget at 5-8 million per film max and get cracking.

And that's is still more of a budget than each of the films up to Part 9. Different times yes, but look what they did for under 3 million all those years. So they could do it again.

baggio 06-05-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepred (Post 736922)
Also, give us Jason in the snow!

Oooh. I like that idea a lot. Never thought of that before. Crystal Lake during the winter months. Imagine Kane Hodder, seeing the breath through the mask.

Bam, there's your next film. Quick deepred, call somebody now with that concept. I'm not kidding, I really want to see your idea happen.

deepred 06-05-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggio (Post 736926)
Oooh. I like that idea a lot. Never thought of that before. Crystal Lake during the winter months. Imagine Kane Hodder, seeing the breath through the mask.

Bam, there's your next film. Quick deepred, call somebody now with that idea.

Unfortunately, I am not the first to come up with the idea. ;)
I believe the sequel they were planning to the remake was to be set at Crystal Lake during the winter but then it never came to fruition.

maybrick 06-05-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepred (Post 736928)
Unfortunately, I am not the first to come up with the idea. ;)
I believe the sequel they were planning to the remake was to be set at Crystal Lake during the winter but then it never came to fruition.

All it needs is a good ice fishing setup. Like Jason tugging on the line and then reaching up through the hole and pulling the fisherman in! :lol:

MisterTwister 06-05-2013 08:24 PM

Bring back Derek Mears! I love Hodder and all but he had his time as Jason. Mears needs another shot.

Nailwraps 06-05-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepred (Post 736918)
I believe Paramount financed FvJ and Friday the 13th remake because even though New Line had the rights to Jason

Paramount never co-financed FvJ, just the remake. Kinda actually sad to see New Line lose the rights to Jason (though they still have their Jason films of course. Obviously, duh! Just wanted to point that out. :P ).

Though, I've always assumed since 2002 (I think) Paramount had complete control of South Park. I do know that the SP: BLU was distributed by Paramount AND Warner (with the latter handling international distribution).

mclay18 06-05-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepred (Post 736918)
I believe Paramount financed FvJ and Friday the 13th remake because even though New Line had the rights to Jason, they did not have the rights to use all the elements from Friday the 13th I-VIII.

Paramount was not involved with Freddy vs. Jason, since that film didn't use any of the story elements from Parts I-VIII (let alone the title). Only until the 2009 remake went into production, that Paramount was brought in as a 50-50 partner because the producers wanted to use the title and story elements from the Paramount-produced films.

The amount of red tape and legal wrangling over a sequel to the 2009 remake is what kept it from going into production. Now that WB is out of the way, Paramount is free to make F13 sequels their way.