Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Reader Polls (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Which Version? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=44917)

Hellbilly 06-17-2013 07:06 AM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Which Version?

I finally bought the Blu-ray of this Spielberg classic last year. While I do enjoy all three versions I think the Director's Cut is my preferred version. Though its missing the Carl Weathers footage, the mothership interior shots (which I can do without) and was overall shortened by 10 minutes (according to wikki), but had other extended scenes added back in.
Which version is your favorite?

Erick H. 06-17-2013 07:26 AM

Director's cut,I actually got to see it in the theater when it was just released as part of a film festival.Great film.

Demoni 06-17-2013 07:28 AM

Just like in a book, where you imagine things for yourself, every version without the interior of the ship is the best.

CPT HOOK 06-17-2013 04:04 PM

I bought the blu-ray a few years ago (the 2-disc version in that big fat box).

I still haven't opened it. Probably because I can't decide which version to watch.

Myron Breck 06-17-2013 04:35 PM

Yeah, it gets confusing. I usually just settle for the Theatrical to avoid the ship interior scenes tacked on at the end.

dave13 06-17-2013 05:31 PM

this has never been a favorite of mine, but i did pick up the nice box version. i think i'd only seen it once before, a long time ago - possibly on VHS. i didn't remember it much. when i watched it a few years ago after buying it, i watched the Director's Cut, and enjoyed it well enough, although I wouldn't put it anywhere close to films like Jaws or Raiders of the Lost Ark. I think I'll watch it again sometime soon before digging into the extras. i'll probably watch one of the other cuts that time. possibly the SE cut, to see this inside mother ship business.

Nailwraps 06-17-2013 06:09 PM

I'm in for how it was originally shown. Meaning, the theatrical version.

Dobby 07-17-2013 09:26 PM

Director's Cut Version

CPT HOOK 10-23-2013 11:08 PM

I bought the blu-ray back when it came out. Never seen the film, but I think I'm going to finally watch the damn thing, either today or tomorrow.

I have no idea which version to watch though. I'm guessing the director's cut? Both that and the Theatrical have almost the same amount of votes. Any more input to add?

rhett 10-24-2013 12:56 AM

I'm almost always a fan of the theatrical version of films when it comes to additional content. In a perfect world, the "uncut" scenes of gore, nudity, coarse language and violence are included in a cut of the film, but the original theatrical experience is preserved. I am really not a fan of a director revisiting an old work (Alien, Star Wars, etc. are all worse with the changes), I think once a film is made it becomes property of the viewers and the people who pay to see it. Imagine if Da Vinci, all old and senile, decided he wanted to paint a fedora on his Mona Lisa. Yeah.

In the case of Close Encounters, it also just so happens that I prefer the theatrical content, too. As others have said, the ambiguity in this case is the best part.

ronnie21 10-24-2013 02:52 AM

I remember in the summer of 1980 , the special edition came out and the ads and t.v. spots were all over the place... Still never seen that version..