Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How often do you watch your videos? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45067)

msw7 07-18-2013 02:59 AM

How often do you watch your videos?

DVDs, blus, laser discs, VHS tapes?

I noticed a few patterns in my viewing -
some movies I watch several times when I first buy it, then might not watch it again for years, if ever (Last House on the Left, for example)

some movies I watch once a year or so, but not more often than that (Groundhog Day, Bad Santa)

some movies I may watch occasionally, whenever the mood strikes me (Serenity, Re-animator)

others I rented or saw in the theater, and haven't yet watched the DVD I bought (The Fountain, The Fall).

How about youse guys, particularly those with very large collections (thousands of movies)? Do you mainly watch them or mainly collect them?

dave13 07-18-2013 03:45 AM

i have no kind of schedule for watching or rewatching films. for years i really avoided rewatching films, as i had so many that i hadn't watched at all. recently i've been mixing it up more, and i like that a lot - it makes my collection feel like its got a lot more practical value beyond just being a collection. however, i do have over a thousand films, so there are some i haven't watched in a decade, and may not watch for a while to come, either. but they're films i like, and i have no intention of getting rid of them.

right now i would say i rewatch a film from my "library" maybe once a week, and the other...3, 4, or 5 films i watch in a given week (i would estimate) are "new" viewings - i.e. films i've either never seen, or have not watched since i bought a copy.

Hellbilly 07-18-2013 08:28 AM

I do lots of rewatching. I'm currently going through my Blu-ray collection re-visiting titles I haven't seen since 2010/2011 (thank god for the "sort by recently watched" option at blu-ray.com).
Besides that I have my usual suspects I spin once a year. Jaws and Poltergeist are my summer movie season openers (though I already watched Poltergeist in April). Other once-a-year movies are Sole Survivor, Valley Girl, Sixteen Candles and/or The Breakfast Club, Prophecy, Terror at Tenkiller and/or The Last Slumber Party, Let's Scare Jessica to Death (in October) and more.

17thJuggalo 07-18-2013 03:21 PM

Since my (now) wife moved in with me I've tended to re-watch the cult classics (Re-Animator, Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead etc.). For a long time we never really got into the obscure movie because I never thought she would like them. Thankfully I was wrong and movies like Sleepaway Camp and Pieces are some of her favorites from my collection.

Now I'm back into watching that pile of movies in my collection that I have never seen with a small number of repeats in between. But there are definitely movies that are required yearly viewing for me such as Back to the Future and NOTLD.

Workshed 07-18-2013 06:50 PM

I've whittled my collection down to the bare essentials, so I tend to rewatch once a year:

Waxwork/2
Ginger Snaps
The first two Underworlds
The Monster Squad
Evil Dead 2/AOD

With room for Dawn of the Dead (1978), Videodrome, Night of the Creeps, and other cheesy 80s-early 90s titles.

Shlockjock81 07-18-2013 07:18 PM

I don't really have a schedule. Sometimes I'll smoke a bowl and suddenly have an urge to watch a specific film. I try to let a few years pass in between viewings so the film doesn't get stale.

Today, I think I'll give Bava's "Shock" a spin.

dave13 07-18-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shlockjock81 (Post 742707)
I don't really have a schedule. Sometimes I'll smoke a bowl and suddenly have an urge to watch a specific film. I try to let a few years pass in between viewings so the film doesn't get stale.

Today, I think I'll give Bava's "Shock" a spin.

I actually pulled that one out a few months ago, after being not all that impressed by it when I first bought it maybe 3 years ago. I liked it much more this second time.

buck135 07-18-2013 08:04 PM

Blu-ray's that I buy usually get watched within a week, then they are off to the shelves. I watch NOTLD '68 probably five times a year. The Dark Knight films, Dawn of the Dead (1978), Bad Santa and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas get a spin probably three times a year. The rest I watch when the mood strikes me, or if the wife is in the mood for a particular type of film.

russweiss 07-18-2013 10:31 PM

I don't have any particular schedule other than Elf during December. I collect way more than I can reasonably watch and still have a full time job. A lot of what I collect is so that if the mood hits I can put the film on.

Mikey Horror 07-18-2013 10:53 PM

I watch my movies constantly because television these days is ridiculously abhorrent. I swear to God when I was a kid we had like 8 channels and it was more entertaining than this shit that passes for TV nowadays. There are literally thousands of channels and 95% of it is less entertaining than watching a dog take a shit.

russweiss 07-18-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey Horror (Post 742728)
I watch my movies constantly because television these days is ridiculously abhorrent. I swear to God when I was a kid we had like 8 channels and it was more entertaining than this shit that passes for TV nowadays. There are literally thousands of channels and 95% of it is less entertaining than watching a dog take a shit.

How many films are in your collection? If I watched one movie a day it would take me over 7 years to watch everything in my collection. I agree with you on TV though. I wouldn't even bother with cable if it weren't for my wife and daughter.

Mikey Horror 07-18-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russweiss (Post 742732)
How many films are in your collection? If I watched one movie a day it would take me over 7 years to watch everything in my collection. I agree with you on TV though. I wouldn't even bother with cable if it weren't for my wife and daughter.

I have about 650-700 blu-rays and DVDs. I don't have a crazy collection, just the movies I feel are worth repeat viewings.

shape22 07-19-2013 12:08 AM

I have a relatively large collection (I'd guess between 2 and 3,000 discs). Unfortunately I've never watched at least a hundred of them. I don't like to watch something I've never seen before unless I can give it my full attention. And most nights I'm too irritated from work to actually concentrate. So I end up watching replaying something familiar.

I really look forward to October and the Horror Digital marathons because I make time to blow through a large number of the flicks in my "need to watch" pile. Too bad there are 11 other months in the year.

Spit 07-19-2013 03:50 AM

I don't have a huge collection, a few hundred maybe.

I go through phases were I'll rewatch 3 to 5 films a bunch of times across like a month period. I think I've seen It's Alive, Feast, and the 13th Warrior each like three or four times within the last four weeks, and I haven't watched any other films.

It seems kind of childish I guess, watching a movie then immediately rewinding it and watch it again. Whateves tho, it makes me happy.

dave13 07-19-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spit (Post 742799)
It seems kind of childish I guess, watching a movie then immediately rewinding it and watch it again. Whateves tho, it makes me happy.

:glasses: