Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Slashers (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Blackout (1985) (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45211)

Hellbilly 08-16-2013 04:57 AM

Blackout (1985)

Search option didn't show any threads unless the title was spelled Black Out.
Anyway, this was a first time viewing. I've knew about this movie for ages but for some reason I never got around watching it until yesterday.
Above average Police/Crime/Serial Killer/Domestic "Slasher" made for TV, with lots of twists and turns down the road. Enjoyed it.

One thing I noticed (not sure if this was ever mentioned before), The Stepfather was obviously inspired by Blackout. Lots of similarities there (new husband/false identity, foggy bathroom mirror scene, autumn leaves/setting etc).

Was Blackout ever released to DVD?

MorallySound 08-16-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellbilly (Post 745796)
Was Blackout ever released to DVD?

No North American DVD release, but it did get a DVD release in the Netherlands but as to it's "legitimacy" I can't say...

I definitely remember that VHS cover, but never did get around to renting it. My friend has the tape, so it's on my borrow list.

horrorscreamer 08-16-2013 06:55 AM

The Dutch DVD is sourced from VHS with hardcoded dutch subtitles so not worth importing.

Erick H. 08-16-2013 08:03 AM

Did this star Kieth Carradine and Richard Widmark ?

baggio 08-16-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick H. (Post 745807)
Did this star Kieth Carradine and Richard Widmark ?

Yes, both of them.

CPT HOOK 08-16-2013 05:59 PM

Looks like Troma owns the rights.

Erick H. 08-17-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggio (Post 745845)
Yes, both of them.

Thanks,I remember this one,good film !

Hellbilly 08-17-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPT HOOK (Post 745856)
Looks like Troma owns the rights.

Yikes. Why?
I'm pretty sure this was meant to be shown in widescreen as well, because there's a boom mike visible in several shots. Since Troma owns the rights I guess we won't be seeing this in widescreen for some time.

Katatonia 08-17-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellbilly (Post 745922)
Yikes. Why?
I'm pretty sure this was meant to be shown in widescreen as well, because there's a boom mike visible in several shots. Since Troma owns the rights I guess we won't be seeing this in widescreen for some time.

And Troma have gone M.O.D. DVD-R now also, so we'd be lucky to get a pressed DVD release.

CPT HOOK 08-17-2013 02:37 PM

^ Unless maybe their recent deal with Vinegar Syndrome gives them access to it? Fingers crossed.

Zombie Dude 08-17-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katatonia (Post 745923)
And Troma have gone M.O.D. DVD-R now also, so we'd be lucky to get a pressed DVD release.

Even with blurays (if they're still doing those)? What's the difference with pressed discs and dvd-r's anyway?

Katatonia 08-17-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 745941)
Even with blurays (if they're still doing those)? What's the difference with pressed discs and dvd-r's anyway?

No, not Blu-rays – just DVD's.

They've released a couple dozen DVD-R's like Crystal Force, The Curse of Bigfoot, Jurassic Women, Preacherman, etc..

...and also released most of the ones that were in those old Toxie's Triple Terror sets and the Troma Triple B-Header sets.

The difference between pressed DVD's and DVD-R's is that pressed DVD's are just that, "pressed" or mechanically stamped with the data on the actual plastic layers.

DVD-R's only have a dye layer, which you'll see as blue or purple. The data is "burned" onto the dye for the laser to read, and thus can have a shorter lifespan. That's also how you can rewrite data on DVD-RW discs. That's impossible for pressed discs though, since the data is pressed in physically and can't be erased on the fly. It's basically the same exact process with pressed CD's and CD-R's, and Blu-rays and BD-R's.

Zombie Dude 08-17-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katatonia (Post 745947)
No, not Blu-rays just DVD's.

They've released a couple dozen DVD-R's like Crystal Force, The Curse of Bigfoot, Jurassic Women, Preacherman, etc..

...and also released most of the ones that were in those old Toxie's Triple Terror sets and the Troma Triple B-Header sets.

The difference between pressed DVD's and DVD-R's is that pressed DVD's are just that, "pressed" or mechanically stamped with the data on the actual plastic layers.

DVD-R's only have a dye layer, which you'll see as blue or purple. The data is "burned" onto the dye for the laser to read, and thus can have a shorter lifespan. That's also how you can rewrite data on DVD-RW discs. That's impossible for pressed discs though, since the data is pressed in physically and can't be erased on the fly. It's basically the same exact process with pressed CD's and CD-R's, and Blu-rays and BD-R's.

Didn't know that, thanks! So Dvd-r's are more cost effective, but also more time consuming if you have to make a lot of copies right?

Katatonia 08-18-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 745950)
Didn't know that, thanks! So Dvd-r's are more cost effective, but also more time consuming if you have to make a lot of copies right?

I think most places use professional grade DVD-R burners, especially Warner Archives. You can buy some that can burn a bunch of copies at one time, so I'm sure places like Amazon also use those for their M.O.D. stuff.

But yeah, if you're just doing it on a home PC...it can become time consuming.

So far, most of the Troma DVD-R's are only sold on Amazon it looks like. Troma doesn't list them for sale on their website, but they are definitely official licensed releases...even with Lloyd "intros" on the discs.

Zombie Dude 08-18-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katatonia (Post 746007)
I think most places use professional grade DVD-R burners, especially Warner Archives. You can buy some that can burn a bunch of copies at one time, so I'm sure places like Amazon also use those for their M.O.D. stuff.

But yeah, if you're just doing it on a home PC...it can become time consuming.

So far, most of the Troma DVD-R's are only sold on Amazon it looks like. Troma doesn't list them for sale on their website, but they are definitely official licensed releases...even with Lloyd "intros" on the discs.

Cool, thank for the info. I didn't know that either.

It's interesting that they're only for sale at Amazon. Wonder why Troma doesn't have those titles on their site either?