Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Site Polls (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Favorite Friday the 13th film (Mark II) (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45335)

rhett 09-19-2013 06:28 PM

Favorite Friday the 13th film (Mark II)

In honor of the extensive FRIDAY THE 13TH doc, CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES, and, hell, why not, the less than definitive FRIDAY THE 13TH Blu-ray box set from Warner, let's look back at America's favorite slasher franchise. We did this poll as one of our very first polls here on the site when we converted to the new VB forum format back in 2004 (here), so it will be interesting to see if opinions have changed at all since. That also means we get to add the last two movies that have followed since. There's so much history here, and the series has been so consistent in its level of quality, I'm sure it'll be tough to find a definitive winner here, so share your thoughts below! Remember, love is a lie.

maybrick 09-19-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhett (Post 749382)
In honor of the extensive FRIDAY THE 13TH doc, CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES, and, hell, why not, the less than definitive FRIDAY THE 13TH Blu-ray box set from Warner, let's look back at America's favorite slasher franchise. We did this poll as one of our very first polls here on the site when we converted to the new VB forum format back in 2004 (here), so it will be interesting to see if opinions have changed at all since. That also means we get to add the last two movies that have followed since. There's so much history here, and the series has been so consistent in its level of quality, I'm sure it'll be tough to find a definitive winner here, so share your thoughts below! Remember, love is a lie.

I probably picked Part 2 last time but now I prefer 3. I love the atmosphere of 2 more but the kills just aren't very interesting. You can tell that it was severely cut.

dave13 09-19-2013 06:42 PM

its hard to resist the knee-jerk reaction to vote for the first one, but I think part 4 is the one I find the most entertaining.

shape22 09-19-2013 07:05 PM

I assure everyone I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. But I've never been a fan of this series. The formulaic nature and irritating characters of the early entries really put me off. And even as a kid I didn't find any of these films remotely scary.

I've grown to enjoy four and six, pretty much polar opposites in terms of mood. I'm going with 6. The humor is less clunky than usual and the action is less focused on irritating teen cardboard cut-outs. And the parody elements make some of the usual stupidity go down a little easier.

rhett 09-19-2013 07:06 PM

II has been my go-to for years, and it's still probably my favorite, but I have to admit that of late THE NEW BLOOD really has risen up the scale for me. There's a lot I love about VII. Lar is my favorite final girl, Bernie makes a devilishly campy second bad guy, Hodder was never more menacing, the TV death is still just BRUTAL and I think the whole cast is pretty enjoyable. The thing that always holds it back are the cuts, and it's such a shame because Buechler is an effects god that the stuff on the MPAA floor is probably on par with the Savini stuff we still revere. Even with the cuts though, the kills in 7 are pretty inventive. It's just a damn fun movie. These days, for me, my ranking is probably:

II, TFC, I, VII, V, 3D, VI, VIII, JX, FVJ, JGTH......................Remake

MisterTwister 09-19-2013 07:14 PM

The Final Chapter for me. I love everything about it.

My ranking, as of now, would be...

TFC, II, VI, V, I, 3D, VII, FvJ, JGTH, Reboot, VIII, JX

Myron Breck 09-19-2013 07:14 PM

PART IV will always hold a special place in my heart as it was the first one I saw. I spent the weekend at a friend's house (his parents were out of town and his college-aged sister was willing to buy us all the beer and wine coolers we wanted, even though we were 13 years old--LOVE the 80s!). It came on cable and we taped it so we could watch it 13 times.

Somehow, I'm still not sick of it.

Dobby 09-19-2013 07:34 PM

We have done this already many times over and part 4 always wins LOL! Anyway I voted for part 3 as it's my absolute favorite in the series.

Mutilated Prey 09-19-2013 07:39 PM

Part II

Egg_Shen 09-19-2013 08:25 PM

I'm always torn between parts one and two, but voted two in the poll. Part one has the classic Betsy Palmer monologue and the ending no one can guess (which is fun to experience with the first time viewer who has meticulously followed the clues only to be denied satisfaction for his or her effort), but Part II is overall better made. Not to mention it features a more feral, potato sack wearing Jason. AND it has the classic scene in the bar where they actually try to rationalize the existence of such a person. Plus the fact that Jason is avenging the death of his mother who was in turn avenging his own ostensible death.

My best attempt at a ranking: II, I, TFC, VII, III, VI, V, Jason X,VIII, JGTH

zbinks 09-19-2013 08:27 PM

Were it not for Corey Feldman, The Final Chapter takes the top spot. With him, The Final Chapter finishes behind Part 2 by a hair.

At the moment: 2, 4, 6, 3, 1, 5, 7, Remake, 8, FvJ, JGTH, JX

shithead 09-19-2013 09:33 PM

Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th, Part 3D
Friday the 13th, Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th, Part II
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th, Part V: A New Beginning
Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood
Friday the 13th, Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason X
Jason Goes to Hell
Freddy vs. Jason
Friday the 13th (2009)

Body Boy 09-19-2013 10:31 PM

I, II, TFC, V, III, VIII, VI, VII, Remake, JGTH, FvJ, X

Paff 09-19-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shape22 (Post 749393)
I assure everyone I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. But I've never been a fan of this series.

Not just you, buddy, but then again, I'm not a fan of any of the "franchise" horror films, in that I have to see every single entry in the series. Haven't seen an Elm Street, Hellraiser or a Halloween past #3 in each of those, and in many series (Howling, Children of the Corn, Candyman), I've only seen the first.

Oddly enough, I've probably seen the most F13 films, regardless of my "anti-franchise" attitude. I think I've seen up to part 6, and the remake (which was only because friends of mine were going). As for this poll, I'm torn between 1 and 2, even though I voted for 4 in the first incarnation of this poll. 2 is pretty fast paced, I probably watched it a million times on cable in the summer of 82. And after watching the Blu-Ray a little while ago, it still holds up.

But I think I'm gonna go with 1, even though it does drag a bit. One reason is a story I've told before, where I saw it theatrically in 2008, and enjoyed listening to the audience go from laughs to actual screams as the movie got more serious. The other is as Egg_Shen mentioned, that first time viewers are surprised when Mrs. Vorhees is revealed as the killer. This is one of those rare times that adding some twist for sequels (I.E., Laurie Strode being Michael Myers' sister in Halloween, the long lost Jason taking over as the killer in F13) becomes so ingrained into the casual viewer that it actually makes the first film work BETTER since they were expecting something that is an established fact in all the sequels. Not sure if that last sentence made sense.

So yeah, the first film.

walkingdude 09-19-2013 11:32 PM

Part 5 is the shit!