Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Night School, Killer Party, Evil Laugh, etc... any good? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45344)

vampyr789 09-21-2013 10:17 AM

Night School, Killer Party, Evil Laugh, etc... any good?

Night School
Killer Party
Mortuary
Silent Scream
Evil Laugh
Girls Nite Out
Funeral Home
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
The House with the Laughing Windows
The Final Terror
The Toolbox Murders
Night of the Comet
Sole Survivor
Deathdream
The Abominable Dr. Phibes

I know it's a strange mix of movies above, but are those any good? I've not seen any of them and I'm considering buying some of them. Night School and Sole Survivor sound pretty good from what I've read! Some of these are kinda obscure I guess, but which are actually worth purchasing?

Stige 09-21-2013 12:02 PM

Night School -VERy good
Killer Party -soso slasher wannabe
Mortuary- good
Silent Scream-good
Evil Laugh
Girls Nite Out- great fun slasher
Funeral Home- decent
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie -very good but has the Euro vibe and pacing
The House with the Laughing Windows- ditto
The Final Terror - low budget ok
The Toolbox Murders- low budget ok again
Night of the Comet- Brilliant
Sole Survivor- eh.......
Deathdream - good movie
The Abominable Dr. Phibe- well done , good horror

five words and only my opinion

Hellbilly 09-21-2013 12:27 PM

Must-own:

The House with the Laughing Windows
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (a bit misogynistic)
Deathdream
Night of the Comet

Above average:

Silent Scream
Sole Survivor (creepy & scary)

Worth checking out:

Funeral Home (Tarantino fave, so its special)
The Toolbox Murders (if you don't mind sleaze)
Evil Laugh
Mortuary
The Final Terror

Watch at own risk ;)

Night School (atmospheric)
Killer Party (can get silly at times)
Girls Nite Out (if anything, good soundtrack - great ending)

rhett 09-21-2013 02:44 PM

Night School is a beautiful movie. Mark Irwin, who was Cronenberg's DP for years, really gives it a beautiful aesthetic. Not really gory, but the camera does such a fine job creating interesting set pieces during the kills that it's really worth the look.

Killer Party is a real mixed bag, you can tell it was really shaken around during post-production. There are some very strong moments, though, and the ending particularly goes in a pretty bold and satisfying direction.

Sole Survivor is a fine film, I reviewed it here on the site when it first came out. The predecessor to Final Destination.

The Final Terror I haven't seen in ages - wish it would get a legit DVD. Has its moments though, and any slasher set at a camp is worth the watch. Probably more interesting for all the before-they-were-famous people involved than for the film itself, but still alright.

Girls Night Out is a fun campus slasher. Its legacy lies in the bear suit. Review on the site.

The Toolbox Murders has a wicked opening, then gets kind of 70s Made for TV maudlin, but still an overall decent watch. I've also reviewed this on the site.

Dr. Phibes is a masterpiece that really holds up today. Also reviewed on the site. One of the essential horror films, in my eyes. Get this one for sure.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie is dated with 70s politics and a zoomy aesthetic, but it definitely has some iconic moments. I prefer the Blind Dead films if we're talking about early Euro zombie flicks, but this one should get a watch. Great ending to this as I remember. Reviewed on the site.

Silent Scream is pretty fun. Nothing really stands out, but it's a solid 7/10. Reviewed on the site.

Funeral Home and Mortuary I get confused on a regular basis, but both of them are just kind of okay. Not essential, really. Would love some good DVD releases for these though.

Deathdream is a slow burn but a pretty sad and moving horror flick. Reviewed on the site. I'd say it's essential watching for fans of 70s horror because of its themes and the way Bob Clark works his touch, but it's probably not one you're going to watch time and again.

Hope that helps!

Demoni 09-21-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellbilly (Post 749608)
Funeral Home (Tarantino fave, so its special)

Its special just because its a Tarantino fave??? :confused:

Fanboys to the max!

ronnie21 09-21-2013 04:21 PM

Killer party is way better than the godfather.

vampyr789 09-21-2013 04:39 PM

Y'all are the best thank you!! :)

CPT HOOK 09-21-2013 07:06 PM

I haven't seen all of those movies, but the ones I have are all worth seeing.

But here are more specific opinions for them:

Night School - I do really like this movie, but it's not one I revisit often. Absolutely worth seeing if you're a fan of the slasher genre, but maybe not worth owning.

Killer Party - I think this movie is just SO MUCH fun! It definitely has flaws and is kind of all over the place, but it's very entertaining and re-watchable. I love the three main girls, and the end credits song is extremely catchy. Buy it!

Mortuary - Very underrated. Atmospheric and fun. Scorpion's disc is terrific too (the transfer is beautiful). Rumor is it will be coming to blu-ray soon, so I'd hold off until then. But when it does, buy it!

Silent Scream - Kind of a slow burner, but very good. Along the lines of Ghost Keeper or The Unseen, if you've seen either of those. And another terrific disc from Scorpion, I don't think I even made it through all the interviews there were so many. But like with Mortuary, there are rumors it is coming to blu-ray. So I'd hold off. There isn't a ton of replay value, but the disc itself is strong enough to recommend.

Evil Laugh - Another one that is just FUN FUN FUN! Really dumb, but extremely entertaining. I always crack up when Steven Baio pees on that random guy. The quality on the DVD isn't great, but it's loaded with enough extras to make up for it. Buy it!

Girls Nite Out - I didn't like this at all the first time I saw it, but I admit the ending was creepy. Watched it again recently and LOVED it the second time around. I've seen the DVD for $1.97 at FYE recently. Tough to recommend, but if you can find it for $1.97 then buy it.

Funeral Home - William Fruet is extremely underrated. Not as much fun as Killer Party or as engaging as Trapped and Death Weekend, but still a fun little movie. Very much an '80s teen version of Psycho.

The Final Terror - Very atmospheric backwoods slasher. Absolutely worth checking out. Fun, and even occasionally creepy. The sex scene is a strange one as far as '80s slashers go, since you see more male skin than female. Would love to see a cleaned up version of this movie, I still have it on VHS. Buy it!

Night of the Comet - Shamelessly fun and incredibly rewatchable. Scream Factory's upcoming blu-ray should be amazing. Buy it!

Sole Survivor - Very underrated little movie. It's not one I rewatch very often, but it's absolutely worth seeing. If you can find the DVD for a reasonable price, go for it.

Deathdream - Bob Clark. Need I say more? Buy it!

DVD-fanatic-9 09-21-2013 07:27 PM

I highly recommend Killer Party. It has flaws. But considering how by comparison Night of the Demons and The Initiation are regarded as classics now (and both are easily inferior), it's actually rather underrated. I didn't have that much fun but I was surprised the entire time- and that's all that I could have asked for. It's much better than it should be and much better than its status suggests. (Again, by comparison.)

ronnie21 09-21-2013 08:10 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A REMAKE OF GIRLS NITE OUT, but it would have to take place in 1982 and have the whole DJ thing playing those loving spoonful tracks, and with better actors..

Body Boy 09-21-2013 09:38 PM

Night School - Great slasher movie that has been given new life on DVD-R. Visually stimulating and detailed. 7/10 Look out for the jazzy electronic music in the cafe, and of course Carol.

Killer Party - A mess. Nice leads but I still haven't warmed up to it yet. 5/10

Mortuary - It loses steam where it should pick some up, but you can do a lot worse. Go for it.

Silent Scream - For something with a production hell history, this turned out to be a fun slasher even with its strange pacing. Scotty's 70s clothes are admirable. 7/10

Evil Laugh - Ok. Really stupid but homoerotic in ways that Freddy would be half proud of.

Girls Nite Out - Classic slasher film. As long as you don't expect F13 and you ignore some of the annoying characters ("BEAVER!") this may surprise you. Or not.

Funeral Home - Haven't seen it in like 7 years but for something not very eventful it kept my interest.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - Not Seen :(

The House with the Laughing Windows - Disturbing. The Latin and the mystery makes this one of my top 100 horror films.

The Final Terror - Grows on you. Disappointing first watch, plus very dark. But has a wonderful woodsy feel.

The Toolbox Murders - Not great, but better than average. I think that it's the type of film that could only work in the 70s-early 80s.

Night of the Comet - It's pretty good. Easier to watch if you're new into horror, but still fun.

Sole Survivor - Love this sleeper! Genuinely creepy.

Deathdream - Not Seen :(

The Abominable Dr. Phibes - It's a classic but also sort of dull. Price has much better films before and after. Look for Madhouse 1974 if you want a 70s classic Vincent killer.

Demoni 09-22-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie21 (Post 749618)
Killer party is way better than the godfather.

WTF :eek:

Erick H. 09-22-2013 06:05 AM

Night School-Saw it ages ago,remember it being well shot and atmospheric.A rare example of an 80's slasher being directed by an old pro.Ken Hughes directed it,he did BIG pictures like CROMWELL and CHITTY,CHITTY BANG BANG in the 60's.This was his last film.

Killer Party-remember this as being nutty but kinda fun.Canadian co-production,got a skimpy release,out on DVDR now.

Mortuary -I own it but haven't watched it yet,need a refresher.Remember liking it.

Silent Scream-Slow but moody,atmospheric.Bonus points for horror vets Yvonne DeCarlo and ....

Girls Nite Out-Kinda fun,cheap but has some atmosphere.A curio with it's oldies soundtrack.Bonus points for Hal Holbrook and Rutanya Alda.The ending is rather creepy.

The Final Terror-Not bad backwoods slasher,kinda late to the party.Fun to play "spot the future star".

Night of the Comet-Very 80's (in a good way),quirky,clever,fun cast.If you enjoyed NIGHT OF THE CREEPS you'll enjoy this.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes-Classic Price,stylish and witty,macabre but often funny.Great cast,sets and score.The sequel isn't quite as good but is still fun.Same director did AND SOON THE DARKNESS and THE DEVILS RAIN.Robert Fuest,passed away recently.Was the art director on the classic Brit series THE AVENGERS.

I've seen most of the others but not in a VERY long time,wouldn't want to comment on them.

Good luck !

DVD-fanatic-9 09-22-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick H. (Post 749667)
Killer Party-remember this as being nutty but kinda fun.Canadian co-production,got a skimpy release,out on DVDR now.

Yes, it's a DVD-R - but I assure you it's top quality.

And I agree with BodyBoy- it's a mess but it tried and it half succeeds more interestingly than others.

crikan 09-23-2013 02:44 PM

KILLER PARTY and NIGHT SCHOOL are two of my favorites for reasons that have been mentioned already in this thread.