Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sleepy Hollow (TV) (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45358)

Anaestheus 09-27-2013 05:29 PM

Sleepy Hollow (TV)

Caught the first episode on Hulu last night and found it pretty impressive and not at all what I expected.

The basic premise is Ichabod Crane has been "asleep" for 200+ years and wakes up in contemporary Sleepy Hollow. And so does the Headless Horseman. And now it's up to Ichabod to stop him.

The opening is a bit too derivative of Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes" films, both in the camerawork and the score. But, as the episode went on, it got a lot more interesting. The show puts the Headless Horseman into a larger mythology that is pretty intriguing.

They are definitely going after the "Supernatural" fans with this one. And I have to say, this first episode got me pretty excited. The characters are all pretty interesting. It's directed by Len Wiseman and he brings his usual polish to the action sequences, even if he's still not the most creative director out there. I am very intrigued in seeing how the larger story plays out.

Paff 09-27-2013 05:35 PM

I dunno. The folks over at DVDtalk really pimped this one, so I watched the pilot. Found it mildly enjoyable, so I gave the second ep a watch. It really didn't wow me, and I don't think I want to add another show to my watching schedule (considering that American Horror Story and The Walking Dead will be restarting soon). Ichabod seems to have adjusted to 21st century life a little too easily, and when he was aware of the vast network of 18th century underground tunnels hidden under the police station, I had to hoist up the bullshit flag.

Not sure if I'll give it a third episode.

Mutilated Prey 09-27-2013 05:39 PM

i wanna watch this but missed the first episode. Need a way to catch up.

CPT HOOK 09-27-2013 05:41 PM

I liked the first ten minutes or so of the pilot, but after that it started to wear out its welcome.

Workshed 09-27-2013 06:27 PM

I liked the pilot a lot, actually--once I saw Len Wiseman's name as director, I knew it was gonna be brainless and badass. And it was! Will watch the second ep this weekend.

MP, OnDemand has the eps available for free, FYI--but only for a limited time, I believe.

Mutilated Prey 09-27-2013 06:39 PM

You need Comcast for OnDemand right? I have DTV.

baggio 09-27-2013 06:41 PM

I bailed after the first episode. Would have worker better if it wasn't a transported into the present time gimmick imo. I would have preferred it if the setting was from the original "olden days" story. Plus the "fish out of water" dialog is gonna get stale.

Paff 09-27-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggio (Post 750238)
I bailed after the first episode. Would have worker better if it wasn't a transported into the present time gimmick imo. I would have preferred it if the setting was from the original "olden days" story. Plus the "fish out of water" dialog is gonna get stale.

To quote Detective William Somerset from the movie Seven: For the first time, you and I are in complete agreement.

baggio 09-27-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 750240)
To quote Detective William Somerset from the movie Seven: For the first time, you and I are in complete agreement.

http://i43.tinypic.com/19v19k.gif

Mutilated Prey 09-27-2013 08:00 PM

Bags you're a chubby gay bald man?

MisterTwister 09-27-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggio (Post 750238)

If it didn't transport itself to the 21st century I would've been bored with it.

baggio 09-27-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey (Post 750242)
Bags you're a chubby gay bald man?

:lol:

No, but I could be the guy on the right if that turns you on. :p

http://i43.tinypic.com/ea0djc.gif

Mutilated Prey 09-27-2013 09:00 PM

Yikes - I'll pass!

Paff 09-27-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterTwister (Post 750243)
If it didn't transport itself to the 21st century I would've been bored with it.

It's the cloying "fish out of water" scenes that annoy me so much. And they don't even make sense. Like, Ichabod is fascinated with power windows on the car, yet completely comfortable with the automobile itself!!

The only decent scenes are the ones from the past, with the witch burnings and such. Really, all Sleepy Hollow is is yet another police procedural show with an eccentric main character. And the criminals are all resurrected demons and baddies from the 18th century. I think they're gonna run out of ideas as to how to keep bringing back bad guys.

CPT HOOK 09-27-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 750247)
yet another police procedural show with an eccentric main character.

Yes, this is exactly what it feels like to me so far. Which is why I won't be continuing.

Had the same reaction to that Grimm show on NBC. Boring.