Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Site Polls (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Plead the 5th: Best Part V Sequel (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45745)

rhett 03-27-2014 05:11 PM

Plead the 5th: Best Part V Sequel
 
Hot on the news of a PHANTASM V, let's celebrate by looking back at all the 5th films in horror franchises past and pick your favorite.

maybrick 03-27-2014 05:23 PM

Gee, I don't know. They're all such quality films.

Matt89 03-27-2014 05:29 PM

Definitely Friday the 13th Part V. And that's not saying much.

~Matt

msw7 03-27-2014 05:32 PM

Friday the 13th, but I only remember two big reasons that it stood out from the pack.

Anaestheus 03-27-2014 05:38 PM

This is becoming a recurring statement from me, but I really love all of Fisher's Frankenstein films and think they all do a great job of telling a single progressive story with interesting twists and few drops in quality. And of all the Hammer sequels, ..Must be Destroyed is actually one of my favorites.

DVD-fanatic-9 03-27-2014 05:39 PM

Shit, that's one hell of a list of losers.

Seed of Chucky. Because it's still better than the first 3 films.

Meanwhile, I've wanted to see Final Destination 5 since the reviews started coming in. I missed all the sequels (and will continue to miss part 3, thanks to a review I watched of it). But I wanted to see them. I doubt they could be worse than the Hellraiser sequels.

Also, Friday the 13th Part V isn't good but I'll always love it.

My opinion on Nightmare 5 waffles a lot but the last time I watched it, I had a blast. Easily the most fun I ever had with that film.

Of course, I had watched quite a few terrible 2003-2013 horror films in that time... namely every film made from that time period that I watched short of Seed of Chucky and Mulberry Street, so I was dying to return to the 80's. That being said... my opinion on Halloween 5 has also been raised slightly. From a 2/10 to a 4/10. Again, I think crap like A Serbian Film, The Host, Cabin in the Woods, and Ills/Them will do that a fan. Hell, that might also be the reason I practically raved about Bordello of Blood.

Howling V is bad but a fun watch, I'll give it that. It's nowhere near as painful as The Church.

Children of the Corn V I haven't bothered to re-watch yet but it's always been better than the 4th movie and that one has aged alright. By 5/10 standards.

I'm dying to see the post-Evil Lamp Amityville sequels. I've only seen the first film and It's About Time (which is easily superior to the first).

dave13 03-27-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaestheus (Post 764169)
This is becoming a recurring statement from me, but I really love all of Fisher's Frankenstein films and think they all do a great job of telling a single progressive story with interesting twists and few drops in quality. And of all the Hammer sequels, ..Must be Destroyed is actually one of my favorites.

Agree 100%. I like F13 part V, and Taste the Blood of Dracula, and the first half of Final Destination 5 was great (relatively speaking). I've also got a soft spot for all the Universal Monsters films, although the last few Mummy sequels are all pretty interchangeable. But Frankenstein Must be Destroyed is definitely one of the best Hammer Frankenstein films. Cushing is a completely amoral bastard in that one, really despicable. It's great.

Mok 03-27-2014 06:04 PM

Got down to Frankenstein Must be Destroy and voted immediately.

zbinks 03-27-2014 06:24 PM

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, easily.

rhett 03-27-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 (Post 764170)
Children of the Corn V I haven't bothered to re-watch yet but it's always been better than the 4th movie and that one has aged alright. By 5/10 standards.

I'm dying to see the post-Evil Lamp Amityville sequels. I've only seen the first film and It's About Time (which is easily superior to the first).

Hey, I'm a champion of COTC 5, but 4 is pretty close to unanimously the best in the series. V is pretty fun and has a good cast (relatively speaking), but it's still no IV.

The later Amityville sequels are actually pretty good, but The Amityville Curse is probably the worst of the bunch. Just a bunch of boring old people sitting in a house and talking. Don't know how that got greenlit, even in the Canadian Tax Shelter environment.

But A New Generation is entertaining with great cinematography by Wally Pfister, It's About Time very creative and delivers on the horror requisites, and Dollhouse might have been the biggest surprise for me, with some inventive death sequences and effects work (forced-perspective and all that with the dollhouse and the house corresponding to each other) and some dark subject matter (going back to the incest well from Part II).

Paff 03-27-2014 06:45 PM

Since I'm firmly a "non-sequel" guy (see the "Horror Films You've Never Seen" thread), I've seen maybe 2-3 of these movies tops. Not even interested in most of them, as I also haven't seen parts 2-4 of most of the list.

That said, I do like Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, easily the nastiest of any of the Hammer Frankenstein films.

dave13 03-27-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhett (Post 764175)
The later Amityville sequels are actually pretty good, but The Amityville Curse is probably the worst of the bunch. Just a bunch of boring old people sitting in a house and talking. Don't know how that got greenlit, even in the Canadian Tax Shelter environment.

I've been wanting to complete the Amityville series for a while now. But I'm stuck at Curse, and can't seem to find the willpower to sit down and watch it. And I refuse to watch the others out of sequence.

rhett 03-27-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave13 (Post 764178)
I've been wanting to complete the Amityville series for a while now. But I'm stuck at Curse, and can't seem to find the willpower to sit down and watch it. And I refuse to watch the others out of sequence.

There is ZERO continuity between any of these movies, trust me, skipping Curse won't do anything other than increase your chances of living a long and healthy life.

satans-sadists 03-27-2014 07:06 PM

Haven't seen a lot of these. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is definitely the best of the bunch, though I do like Taste the Blood of Dracula.

dave13 03-27-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhett (Post 764179)
There is ZERO continuity between any of these movies, trust me, skipping Curse won't do anything other than increase your chances of living a long and healthy life.

that's all well and good, but I tend to suffer from some mild OCD when it comes to things like this. if I skip Curse, I will feel like I have somehow "cheated"....


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com