Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   Asian Horror and Other Pleasures (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Recommended Godzilla films in the original series? (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=45928)

Anthropophagus 05-27-2014 04:43 AM

Recommended Godzilla films in the original series?

Just recently watched Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster AKA Ebirah, Horror of the Deep and loved it. I always was kind of meh on the whole original Godzilla saga, having seen vs. Megalon and King Kong vs. Godzilla, but this one was really well paced and entertaining.
For fans, what are the other 'must sees' in the original film series?

Erick H. 05-27-2014 07:30 AM

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (aka GODZILLA VS. THE THING) is a fun one with some of the best effects in the series.

Anaestheus 05-27-2014 08:06 AM

I'd recommend "... vs. Smog Monster" just because it's so damned freaky. Gave me nightmares when I was a kid.

Here's a quick-ish guide to all of them and I'd say that for the most part I agree with for all the ones that I have seen:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-Movies-Part-1

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...-Movies-Part-2

Anthropophagus 05-27-2014 03:05 PM

Thanks to the both of you, on my way to check out that website.

wago70 05-27-2014 04:53 PM

I have to say "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla" is pretty tight.

maybrick 05-27-2014 05:27 PM

I like the psychedelic nature of Smog Monster. I also love the absolute ridiculousness of Megalon.

Darga 05-27-2014 06:05 PM

Aside from the original, Smog Monster is my favorite.

crikan 05-27-2014 06:24 PM

Me and my kids hated VS. THE THE SEA MONSTER. It has least amount of monsters battling on screen that I've seen. I didn't get into SMOG MONSTER. It's like a bad acid trip. GODZILLA VS MOTHRA is goofy fun. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS is the best if you want to see monsters battling. We also greatly enjoyed VS GIGAN.

Paff 05-27-2014 06:27 PM

I'm assuming you've seen the original, and the Japanese version (not the one with Raymond Burr)?

Also, it's not a Godzilla movie, but I adore the original Mothra because it's just so batshit crazy. Twin tiny princesses that speak in unison, Mothra's original "larva stage", spinning a cocoon and eventually morphing into her full moth incarnation. There had to be some serious pharmaceuticals being shared in the writer's room for that one...

deepred 05-27-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crikan (Post 768493)
Me and my kids hated VS. THE THE SEA MONSTER. It has least amount of monsters battling on screen that I've seen. I didn't get into SMOG MONSTER. It's like a bad acid trip. GODZILLA VS MOTHRA is goofy fun.

Funny, I really enjoyed Sea Monster just like Anthropophagus. I'm wondering if I liked it because it wasn't the typical Godzilla movie. I read it's often referred to as the Bond-inspired entry of the franchise. I personally loved the story and thought the entire movie was fun. I didn't care much for Smog Monster but watched Godzilla Vs Mothra and thought that was fun too.

Darga 05-27-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 768494)
Also, it's not a Godzilla movie, but I adore the original Mothra because it's just so batshit crazy. Twin tiny princesses that speak in unison, Mothra's original "larva stage", spinning a cocoon and eventually morphing into her full moth incarnation. There had to be some serious pharmaceuticals being shared in the writer's room for that one...

Ya know, I don't think I've ever actually seen the original Mothra.

Body Boy 05-27-2014 09:40 PM

I have seen the first six, and enjoyed them all, in variance, and more than the remake too.

1954 was a nice dark film, but I found more enjoyment in King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, and Invasion of Astro-Monster. The latter had the best human drama so far. King Kong was so ridiculous that I couldn't not love it. He feeds Gojira a tree, drinks from tiny little jugs and is beyond clearly a guy in a suit. Mothra vs was just good.

But my favorite has to be Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. I thought that this was the most exciting.

Anthropophagus 05-28-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 768494)
I'm assuming you've seen the original, and the Japanese version (not the one with Raymond Burr)?

Yes, the Japanese version I love, fantastic.

Anthropophagus 05-28-2014 12:39 AM

I've wanted to see Smog Monster since I was a kid, based on the feedback here I'll be seeking out that BR next. Thanks to all.

Shannafey 05-28-2014 02:36 AM

I love Smog Monster as well. Have it on DVD and Blu. BTW: If you have an FYE by you, they are having a buy one, get one half price sale. I've been getting all of the original films for $5-7. I bought a bunch over the weekend as well as Rodan and Ghidorah.