Horror Digital Forum

Horror Digital Forum (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ghosts of Mars DVD question (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=4797)

stone88 02-13-2002 05:49 PM

Ghosts of Mars DVD question

Does anyone know if there is another edition of this dvd coming out soon?
I'm planning on buying the special edition but willing to wait if a directors cut or new edition with deleted scenes & dts sound is planned for release.

DavidHess 02-13-2002 10:06 PM

I do not think any further release is planned

A Ghosts of Mars director's cut? god I hope not.

If the film didn't bum me out when I saw it in the theater then this dvd totally blew me away.

Especially that commentary...Carpenter's commentaries used to be full of interesting anecdotes and technical details, but it seems like the last few haven't been as focused and have often suffered because of this. He spends most of last year's Big Trouble in Little China talking to Russel about their son's little league and the impending (at that time) writer's strikes. I doubt they spent twenty minutes of screen time discussing the actual film they're supposed to be watching.

And now the GOM dvd, featuring what I would consider to be the worst JC commentary I've ever heard.

I never thought I would hear this phrase uttered in a JC commentary track:

"So tell me about your modeling career."

Carpenter seems tired on the track and most of the time just allows Henstridge to drone on about her "acting methods," uh yeah. I had to turn the garbage off about forty minutes in.

crank 02-13-2002 10:42 PM

I don't know of any new editions coming out but since this ones the SE, I really doubt it. The movie didn't do that great, and this DVD hasn't been out very long. If your a fan of the movie, then this disc will definatly be what your looking for. The movie looks pretty great, it's got some behind the scenes stuff, and (for better or worse) the Carpenter/Hendstridge commentary.

crank

Egg_Shen 02-14-2002 01:14 AM

Yeah, I pretty much doubt a full blown delux special edition will see the light of day any time soon (or any time at all for that matter). Still this disc is a nice one and the Carpenter commentary is fine to me. However, the other extras included are a real bore.

Quote:

And now the GOM dvd, featuring what I would consider to be the worst JC commentary I've ever heard.
David, have you listened to the Vampires commentary track? I haven't heard it in a while, but to the best of my recolection it was his worst.

DavidHess 02-14-2002 01:29 AM

Well the last few JC commentaries haven't been great, but at least the Vampires commentary was just Carpenter solo, laying it down.

Most of the beginning of the GOM commentary is a boring discussion of Henstridge's acting and modeling career.

I guess it could also be considered Carpenter's best, if just for the track's humorous and bizarre aspects, just like the commentary for Evil Dead trap.

"She's getting coffee!"

"Yeaaaaaaaaaah. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!"

joltaddict 02-17-2013 06:32 AM

I just put this in my Sherwood region free player and Im getting a message I have never seen before, it gives me a map of the fucking world, like I might be confused and think Im in fucking Greenland and not America. It says THIS DISC IS INTENDED FOR PLAY ON NON-MODIFIEID REGION 1 PLAYERS. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS REGION 1 DISC. TO ASSURE PLAYBACK YOU SHOULD PURCHASE OR RENT A DISC DESIGNED FOR YOUR REGION AS SET FORTH BELOW. and then theres a map of the entire fucking planet.

I have all kinds of DVDs, from every studio I can think of and I have never seen this. I just watched a Criterion BD today (Hause) and a midnight horror DVD from Walmart that had The Reflecting Skin on it. Now I randomly grab a DVD off the shelf and I get this.

THE FUCK?????????

Anybody with this disc?

kcgaidin 02-17-2013 10:39 AM

A 11yr old thread...really?

hots4 02-17-2013 11:36 AM

You have an RCE encoded disk, can you manually change the region's on the player? If so change it the region the disc should be and hey Presto it will play.

joltaddict 02-17-2013 10:46 PM

Why would I start a new thread? Ghost Of Mars DVD Question. Thats what I got.

I ended up putting in They Live. And that worked fine. And probabally a better idea anyway ;)
Its a Sherwood BDP-5400 and its only needed codes to switch BD regions, its always played every region of DVD without codes.

maybrick 02-18-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joltaddict (Post 727918)

I ended up putting in They Live. And that worked fine. And probabally a better idea anyway ;)
Its a Sherwood BDP-5400 and its only needed codes to switch BD regions, its always played every region of DVD without codes.

I doubt it's in the disc. It's more likely the first sign that the player is going kaput. Sherwood blu ray players stink and I'm actually kind of surprised that yours hasn't shit the bed by now. Mine did after 8 months and I had to send it back to the company for repairs. It still technically "works" (probably) but I put it into storage because I got sick of how loud it was. But anyways, the first sign that something was amiss with my player was when it refused to play my 10+ year old copy of Dazed and Confused because it wasn't supposedly Region 1 (it was).

killit 02-18-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joltaddict (Post 727918)

HAHAHA!!! Lol, yeah this disc gave me trouble too back in the day, I love this movie and me and clea duvall apparently have beef but despite that its still a really, really fun carpenter flick! I believe it's on Netflix instant right now just in case you have the service and need a GOM fix