View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #37
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Oh MAN that movie's great. Done in the style of a '40s noir film. Soderberg actually used the same lighting method used in the '40s, as well as having the film presented in academy ratio. The only thing that brings the film down (as with most films he's in) is Tobey Maguire. How he got the lead in Spider-Man over James Franco baffles the fucking mind.

~Matt
I agree. I remember hearing about this movie and thinking "Soderbergh's making a movie in the style of the 40's WB movies. That's like a dream come true." Then, the reviews started coming out and they were mixed, at best, saying that the film was "style over substance" only. It didn't play near me anyway so I just waited for video. Then, when I did finally watch it, I loved it. Sure, the style was great but I really liked the actors and the story too. I disagree with you about Tobey Maguire though. I wouldn't say that I would see a movie because he was in it but I don't think he's a bad actor. James Franco's the same way for me. I don't necessarily think he's a bad actor but I wouldn't see a movie just because he was in it. Although, he was hilarious in Pineapple Express. I just hope that when this hits Blu, that they keep it 1.33:1 and don't crop it to 1.78:1 to "appease" the widescreen TV owners. Sam Raimi can get away with saying that Evil Dead was intended to be matted. Stanley Kubrick's 1.33:1 films were really shown in a matted presentation theatrically (and that's how he wanted it). But, we know that Soderbergh never intended The Good German to be matted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
This week I picked up like 20 DVDs cheap, so I don't feel like listing them all. On Blu Ray though I grabbed 2001, Bullitt, Daredevil, Dark City, and Hellboy 2. Waiting to find The Incredible Hulk now, as there were problems with the first batch, and now it's sold out everywhere.
What was wrong with The Incredible Hulk? I picked it up on release date and had no problems with it.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote