View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #22
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBRadioMoskow View Post
The DC Absolute volumes (such as for Sandman) collect 20 standard comic issues in oversize slipcase hardcover, with new intros, recoloring, and a *lot* of extras. Price point $100 for 20 issues (just over 600 pages). In comparison the Eerie archives are $50 for 5 issues (240 pages), and even given the different original issue size the presentation size of both is roughly the same. But for half the cost the content is less than half, and production quality (although high in both) is notably better in the Absolute line. More importantly the Eerie comics are black and white, not color, and this *considerably* drops the production costs.

For me, the Absolute volumes hit about breaking point for what I was willing to pay, such that I only picked up a few sets (Watchmen, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). I just view the Eerie / Creepy / Vault / Crypt anthologies as being even costlier on the "what you get for the price" point, putting it over what I was willing to accept for the Absolute volumes.

As for TPB, the typical TPB prints 5-7 color issues, 120-150 pages of content, for about $12-15. Black and white reprint volumes, such as the Marvel Essentials series, print 20 issues and 500-600 pages of content for about $15-20. So its not out of line by any means that a TPB for Eerie / Creepy could present 5 issues (250 pages of black and white content) for around $15 - maybe scaled to smaller print size, *maybe* bumped to $20 to reflect the more niche market. But definitely far from an unreasonable expectation.

But right now I look at what is being produced for other "premiere" edition comic volumes, and as good as they are these just don't deliver the same quality for the price.

Regarding the Absolutes (which I love), I think you are overestimating the Absolutes in terms of # of pages. They are usually 12 issues of 22-page comics (+ covers) + extras.

Recent & upcoming releases (in approx. the same time period as the Creepy Archives):

Absolute Promethea: $99, 328 pages; Absolute V for Vendetta: $99, 296 pages, Absolute Death: $99, 360 pages. Of the recent releases (or NYPs), the only ones I can find close to 500-600 pages are: Absolute Justice: $99, 496 pages, and the Sandman editions, which are $99, 600 pages (and, to be fair, I think the Sandmans are the exception to the format. They set an incredible standard, even for the Absolutes). Yes, you get color and a slipcase w/ the Absolutes, but they are double the price.

While I do love the Absolutes, take a look @ the Absolute Dark Knight--which had inferior paper to the Creepy archives--or Absolute LOEG: Black Dossier--which contained no extras at all and was of inferior printing. Absolute Superman: For Tomorrow also had thin pages.

TP collections are typically 5-7 issues, and I'm not seeing many for $12 that are not introductory editions. Again, these are not the same trim size or page count as the Creepy Archives.

Marvel Essentials are getting the price bump to $19.99, starting with Essential Uncanny X-Men Vol. 9, and are printed on newsprint. To compare the Essentials to the Creepy Archives.... Dark Horse is reprinting them according to their original magazine format but with heightened quality. Do I wish they were $15? Sure. Would I prefer an inferior treatment to achieve this price point? No way.

If they are out of your budget, I completely understand. But I don't understand the complaint about the quality for the price. To me, as a collector, it's worth it (especially at a discount) for the package.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.

Last edited by Workshed; 07-08-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote