View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #66
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
What do you mean by this?

I see plenty of threads introducing me to new movies, and there are two--count 'em, two!--threads devoted to "What DVD Did You Just Buy?"

Plenty of posters on here are dropping cash on DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc. Have you seen spawningblue's 2009 To-Buy list? He's funding a small empire.

I said NEW DVDs, germane to the back-and-forth between Bill and ChrisMac87. This is a trend I've seen - we all have - over the last 5 years (maybe more). People ARE buying less - be it netflix or cable, or the fact that all of the hot older acquisitions (Zombie, Dawn, even obscure Fulci and Franco titles are all "out" at this point) are out in multiple formats. That leaves us with stuff like Boardinghouse (I netflixed) that is not great by any measure. Bill is fighting the good fight and I understand his frustration. I am the guy that should be buying that flick and I'm not.

There was a time when I could go to Best Buy or Amoeba in Hollywood and count on quality genre films being released (as opposed to re-released) for the first time on DVD every week. And these were all must-buy titles. It isn't that way anymore. Night of the Creeps, maybe the MBValentine uncut are the last few that are high profile. Synapse, Blue Underground, Anchor Bay (as we knew them) etc are ALL GONE. Lusting himself said it (don't quote me) - no money to be made there any more, not like in the salad days of DVD. The slow transition to Blu-ray is just that - SLOW.

So, despite spawningblue's hard-earned cash - the market is withered and dying. I just popped over to the main page and this was the only thread based on a film coming to DVD for the first time (yes there was a F13 7&8 re-release and a Suspiria Blu but that was it).

So I was talking about new releases that were first time on DVD. Most of those now buying lists are populated with a lot of older releases.
Angelman is online now   Reply With Quote