View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #74
Paff

A couple of comments about the addition of black characters not originally in the comic (and like KamuiX says, there are very strong black characters to be introduced, not to mention an Asian who will obviously be coming on VERY soon). Remember that we are talking about Frank Darabont, who turned an obviously white character (Ellis Redding) into a career-defining portrayal by Morgan Freeman.

Granted, it's a little harder adapting a comic-book character into a different race, since we've SEEN what they look like.

But as for the comments about criticism from the black community about the lack of black characters on AMC shows, I used to think this was a dumb complaint too. After all, it's the STORY that matters, not the color of the actors who play the roles. This is not the first time these complaints have come up. I remember hearing about it in the 90s with Friends, where there were comments about the overwhelmingly white cast in one of the most diverse cities in the world. About the only people of color were Lauren Tom in a few episodes early on, then Aisha Tyler in response to the criticism.

But then I saw a movie that changed my mind. White Man's Burden, starring John Travolta and Harry Belafonte, directed by Desmond Nakano. It's an allegorical tale, in a US where blacks have always had the power and the whites are the downtrodden minority. Most of the things I expected to see were there; People call the cops when John Travolta is in their neighborhood, cops pull him over for no reason, landlord won't give him and his family a break when they're late with the rent, etc. But one scene really struck me. Travolta's kid is watching TV, and flipping channels. EVERY single show has an all-black cast. Soap operas, comedies, etc. And the commercials are for things like black hair-care products, makeup, etc. My first thought was "you know, I don't think I'd watch much TV if that's all that was on, and I'd probably gravitate to a show with more white characters even if it wasn't that good"

So yeah, there may be more black characters than originally written, but until there comes a day when you hardly ever see any people of your race represented on screen (and when they are, it's only as a stereotype), don't knock it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote