View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #49
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
Really glad to hear you are still reading these, Maybrick. I agree that Goodwin's stories can be a slog after multiple volumes, but I kept up through Creepy Vol. 6 and Eerie Vol. 3 (where the intro by Gail Simone admits this is the series' low point). Your note about it getting better from here is encouraging, and the intro by Don Glut in Eerie Vol. 5 suggests the same. It's a great intro, too. I want more from former contributors talking about how they got into the mags.

I received Eerie Vol. 5 and Creepy Vol. 8 this season. They've always been fun to open and get lost in. The artwork is top-notch, crazy stuff. I'm only missing Creepy Vol. 1. I borrowed it from a friend and read, but I never purchased it--it's fantastic, though. I'm going to start Creepy Vol. 8 tonight.

Creepy Vol. 9 looks to be coming out in March 2011. Any thoughts on what appears to be similarly-styled Vampirella Archives coming out from Dynamite?

It also releases in March 2011. I'm unfamiliar with the character--aside from her costume--and wonder if these classic stories are any good.

I really hope they drop the DYNAMITE eyesore on the title dress. Why would you ever cover up that artwork?

Edit: and good thread bump!
I'm intentionally skipping Eerie's 3-4 and Creepy 4-5 because of the number of reprints they hold (Eerie stories began appearing in Creepy and Creepy Stories began appearing in Eerie). I'll probably go back and buy them once I'm caught up on the others for completist's sake, but they're not a priority to me. Once the 70s came, all sorts of hell broke loose and the magazines finally began showing the kinds of gore EC Comics was once known for. Like, check out this cover:

Regarding Vampirella, I was never really a fan mainly because almost all of the stories revolved around her. It was basically a straight forward superhero comic with supernatural elements rather than an anthology series like Creepy or Eerie. Or at least that's what I recall. I'd read them if I found them at the local library, but they weren't the kind of thing I'd be willing to pay in excess of 30 bucks for. From what I hear, Dynamite won't be including letter's pages or ads like Dark Horse has been doing.

Last edited by maybrick; 01-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote