View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #77
spawningblue
Deadite

Finally checked this one out over the weekend, and I have to admit I was slightly disappointed although I did enjoy it. I don't think it lived up to all the hype and box office money it made, and I didn't really find it scary, although I see how some would I guess. Personally I thought Paranormal Activity was a lot scarier, but again, I guess it's all subjective.

For every scare they would ruin it by showing too much.
Spoiler:
The scene with the little boy running the halls and the main Darth Maul villain with hoofed feet being the main culprits. Hell even the opening with the old woman I think showed too much too soon.
I would love to see a present day horror film that doesn't feel the need to always show everything.

I did really like the story though, and don't really feel it deserves all the negativity it's getting regarding it's similarities between Poltergeist and other haunted house flicks, as I thought it did enough of it's own thing to stop it from being a rip off. It's no more a rip off then any other haunted house flick that has come out. I really liked how they took things that have been done before but did them in their own new and interesting ways. The seance scene being a great example as well as the whole idea behind "The Further". I thought the scene
Spoiler:
in there was very well done and quite creepy at parts.

I'd give this a 7 out of 10 and recommend everyone check it out. I didn't love the ending but I would definitely check out the sequel which I'm sure will be forthcoming. Not genre changing but a fun way to waste an hour and a half.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote