View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #37
_pi_
Peace, bitch

I was very surprised I liked this as much as I did, considering my huge dislike of House of the Devil.

That said, it does share A LOT of the same problems: story threads introduced that ultimately lead nowhere. A lot of buildup to no payoff. An annoying lack of some sort of explanation/backstory to the mystery (not that I need an expository backstory in all my horror, but when you have an 'old haunted house mystery' as the basis of your story, I kind of expect it to actually go somewhere and get fleshed out).

I didn't think it was boring though. I think West's skills as a director have improved drastically. I may have been too harsh on his shot choices in House - with his budget and time schedule, I'm sure a lot of difficult compromises were made - but The Innkeepers felt very controlled to me, so good job on that.

What makes the film work are the great performances and characters. His actors really took their roles and ran with them. If it weren't for them, I probably would have clocked out a lot sooner.

So ... Basically, I think it's a big step in the right direction for West. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. So yeah. That's about it.

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote