View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
I wasn't making the argument that Humanoids From The Deep is a great film because it flies in the face of political correctness. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of applying highbrow moral standards to pure exploitation films.

It's incongruous for people with apparently delicate sensibilities to spend a significant amount of time posting at horror film websites--unless that sensitivity is posturing to support a position of perceived moral and intellectual superiority. You're obviously upset about the implications I made about you. But you had no problem with suggesting that anyone who likes Humanoids From The Deep is a misogynistic dunce. Isn't that "kinda (sic) dumb" too?

Secure people understand that liking dumb films doesn't make them dumb. It's telling that you can't even voice support for an undeniable genre classic like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre without trying to put a pseudo intellectual spin on it. Do you really believe TTCM is regarded as a all-time great because it makes salient points about "people being treated like meat?" That's exactly the kind of pomposity that led me to mock your post about Humanoids.
I really don't want to be the kind of guy who just replies with some brainless snark like: "what did you eat- bullshit for breakfast?" and then walks off trying to look superior. I'm not that kind of guy. Never have been, never will be. That said: holy shit are you full of it!

I have every right to challenge any view on horror. You seem to basically be pissing on my opinion because it doesn't fall in-line with enjoying (in this case) clearly misogynistic shit for no good reason, which you're claiming everyone else does. I have been dismissing and fighting that kind of attitude on movies for almost 15 years. That just because a movie looks dumb, it must be dumb. But am I really bashing people for not seeing deeper into this movie? No. I have never cared about what reasons people have for liking something. I have never argued that I should be the ultimate authority on what everyone must think about each movie or even the horror genre.

But I do think it's important what opinion gets out there, forming the popular reptuation on a film. I saw Humanoids because people said it was a great film. A LOT of people said it was a great film. And most, if not all, of those people are also the ones who got me to see Piranha. AN EXTRORADINARILY INTELLIGENT, CULTURALLY RELEVANT, SOCIO-POLITICALLY CHARGED AND DARING FILM. The kind of movie that teaches us not to ever assume a movie will be dumb because it's also cheap and might be sleazy. Or, let's say, produced by Roger Corman. And, do you know what? I said all of this in previous replies. I might look pompous but I sure as fuck wasn't born yesterday.

Though, now here you are, claiming that - am I right about this? - if the majority of people who see Texas Chainsaw Massacre decide it's a genre classic because it's about "guy kills people and uses them for meat," that that is in fact what makes it great? Again...I don't want to be that guy, but you are really asking for it so: what are you, somebody else's DOG? You follow other people, regardless of what stupid thing they ask you to swallow? Fuck that. I've never lived or formed an opinion that way and never will. (Of course, if I was wrong- feel free to correct me.)

All I came here to do was voice a dissenting opinion on a movie. I like to see different opinions actually get out there and no one else had anything negative to say about the movie. 3 people have gotten that and replied challenging my view but without claiming I insulted them. You got bored and decided you wanted a little row.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote