View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #528
DVD-fanatic-9
Everyone Else's Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
As long as there is brain teenagers rip off artist with reign supreme. I remember when Marlyn Manson came out and kids thought he was original. He was nothing more then a wannabe Alice Cooper.
Maybe nothing is original. But Manson is hardly an Alice Cooper rip-off / wannabe. His music hasn't exactly stood the test of time but, as a legitimate teenage fan of him myself in the 90's (I stopped paying attention around the time of Holywood, in favor of riot-grrrl - Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, Bratmobile - and then trip-hop - Hooverphonic, Massive Attack, Portishead, Lamb, Moloko, Cibo Matto, Gus Gus, Esthero, Mono), we were not as sheep-like as you might have thought. His music had a lot of intelligence and meaning in it. I haven't done much research on Alice Cooper but I doubt a song like "School's Out" was intended as a hard-hitting critique on any establishment. If AbFab is to be believed, it was just about the rock and the freedom of the sound of the music. That the fans brought all the meaning to it. A lot of things which tried to tap into the spirit of the 90's have aged so poorly, it makes the decade look like shit thanks to being these awful, long-winded analyses on what they thought were "hard truths" that just came out looking like whining sessions (mostly films, and my opinion, but: Swimming with Sharks, Reality Bites, The Ref). But, before the real sea of wannabes / copycats (KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Staind, Slipknot) emerged, Manson made an extraordinary amount of thought-provoking songs about family dysfunction, social ostracization, religious and political hypocrisy. Trying to boil him down to a look or stage gimmick, which were his way of adding a style to the music to get more people to pay attention, is extremely dismissive. He actually cared about what he was saying and doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by startide View Post
I like her, but then I like most of what I hear in pop music, so I'm not exactly the most discernible listener.
I think we've been in a real new-millennium Golden Age of Pop for at least a decade now. There's simply no debate/discussion when you compare "Milkshake," "What You Waiting For?," "Umbrella," "Telephone," etc to most of what passed for pop in the 90's (Backstreet Boys, N Sync, Ricky Martin, "Baby One More Time," "What a Girl Wants"). Basically... the bubblegum subsect of pop now is not mainstream. Not really. There was no real Disney or Nickelodeon music factory in the 90's and the more "wholesome" artists were the standard. Thanks to... I want to say Missy Elliot (and producers like The Neptunes and Linda Perry), that's completely turned around. Now artists can have major hits with titles like "Fuck You" (and I was actually thinking of Lily Allen, but yeah- Cee Lo Green's single was massive...), Vevo's finally stopped muting the curses in songs (if only this meant they were going to go back and fix what they did to stuff like... and I hate this track but I still think it should be heard as it was recorded: "Drop It Like It's Hot"), Britney finally stopped being a huge hypocrite, and thanks to Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha- there are no lines between rap and pop anymore. After that... will I listen to jackasses complaining about anyone using skin to sell? It's not nearly new. I got used to that in the 90's when Mariah Carey was having her own Madonna-80's heyday and Butterfly was cranking out sensuously marketed singles like "Honey," "My All," and "The Roof." Point being, of course, music quality has never been affected by sexual photos or videos, or "outlandish outfits".

As for this cake thing... um... Rihanna kinda just did that last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UJkiMrI6ZI (Now, that is shit. As was Jay-Z's verse on "Talk That Talk," otherwise a pretty good track.)
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote