View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #529
startide
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post

I think we've been in a real new-millennium Golden Age of Pop for at least a decade now. There's simply no debate/discussion when you compare "Milkshake," "What You Waiting For?," "Umbrella," "Telephone," etc to most of what passed for pop in the 90's (Backstreet Boys, N Sync, Ricky Martin, "Baby One More Time," "What a Girl Wants").
Couldn't disagree with you more. Music from "today" is no better or worse than the music from "yesterday", it's just... different. But I do love it when my brother says to me "Nat, the 80s suck", when he was a child of the 90s and a lot of the music of that era is cringe-worthy at best. (I have this dream of producing a multi label compilation series based on the radio hits of every year, the 80s are bursting at the seams with classics, but picking some of the early 90s "hits" that don't make me want to poke my eyeballs out is difficult.)

BTW, Mariah Carey's "Honey" is still on my list of one of the most revolting songs ever. Def. makes the playlist of "Totally Inappropriate Love Songs". (And my brother was a huge Mariah fan, so I heard that song a lot!!) In fact, I can't decide if that or Gilbert O'Sullivan's "What's in a Kiss" is top dog. (Where's a vomit smiley when I need one?)
startide is offline   Reply With Quote