View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Yes, it's a pretty rare disc, not many produced as the format was near the end. It also clears up a lot of the aspect ratio mystery, as this was clearly taken from a theatrical print (I believe you can see the "cigarette burn" reel change marks), so if you ever wanted to know how this looked in the theater, the LD is the answer.

Sadly though, this disc looks like ass. Most LDs look far better than this one. I should know, as I just spun it this past week. It's grainy as hell, and many of the darker scenes are just terrible. It makes a nice collector's item, but it sure isn't the best way to watch the movie.
I kind of expected that. I guess when you're used to watching Blu-ray Discs and DVDs (and to a lesser extent HD DVDs), popping in a LD is going to be a different world. I guess I'm interested for the novelty of the thing. When LaserDisc was around I could never afford it due to the high cost of players and discs. I was always fasinated with the format though, thought it was so cool. I remember looking through the J.C. Penney and Sears Christmas Catalogs around 1990-1994 and seeing the LD players and discs for sale. Seems like they were always near the back of the catalog.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote