View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's me, Billy View Post
I kind of expected that. I guess when you're used to watching Blu-ray Discs and DVDs (and to a lesser extent HD DVDs), popping in a LD is going to be a different world.
That's certainly true, but my point is that the Black Christmas LD doesn't look that good, even for LD. LD picture quality was always a roll of the dice, especially for older movies. Some looked fantastic, some were VHS quality. You never knew.

If you do ever buy a player to watch your Black Christmas disc, buy some other discs and you'll be impressed with the quality of some discs. Not enough to throw out your Blu-Ray player, of course, but it can be a great way to watch a movie. Try something like the Star Wars "faces" discs (which is still the only way to see the THEATRICAL versions of the films), the Roan Entertainment "Spaghetti Nightmares" series (Demons 1 and 2, Tenebre, and Phenomena), or anything from Elite Entertainment's horror series. Oh! And try to find the Japanese disc of Evil Dead. That still blows me away in quality.

Discs with extras worth finding:
Elite's special edition of Night of the Living Dead. It has a still photo gallery, many in full color, that I don't think has made to any DVD
Criterion's edition of Carrie. It has an audio commentary.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote