View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Not necessarily. Often times transfers receive a color/saturation boost and thus sometimes creating a totally different color scheme than what was intended by the film makers. It has been stated several times that Severin’s Santa Sangre transfer is more accurate to how it played and was viewed in theaters. The more saturated color scheme (bleeding colors, edge enhancement) was unauthorized and artificially created when it was released on DVD.

And I don’t know which Santa Sangre BD you own, but Severin’s transfer’s color scheme does “pop”….especially in the [u]reds[/i]. I love that disc. It’s one of my favorite BD’s and one of my favorite flicks. I know the Mr. Bongo release had richer black levels, but I heard it also had compression issues and didn’t have Severin’s exhaustive extras…. So, I am happy enough to stick with the Severin disc and just adjust a few settings on my television.

I don’t know what the case is with Bay of Blood, but I personally thought the transfer was great. But I am often a completest and I own all of Bava’s releases Kino did so far…so what the hell?
Especially when you can adjust black levels yourself on most TVs, I'd much rather have a "muted" image than anything that's boosted or crushed.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote