View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bruun View Post
Wow! Do you even like horror movies? Granted, I don't love every one of these, but they all have devoted fans and are more or less iconic horror movies.

Phantasm I consider pretty artistic even if I never personally could get into it. It's actually a rather philosphical movie about how we deal with death.

They Live - too long since I've seen it to comment, but I always thought it was universally loved among fans of 80's horror.

Evil Dead I always found overreached itself once the demons start possessing everything, but it is an important film, and justifiably popular.

City of the Living Dead is a gorefest on par with Fulci's other zombie movies. Vomitting guts and rain of maggots not your thing?

Maniac Cop is a character-driven, clever expansion of the slasher formula.

Madman is a cinematographically elegant, atmospheric camp (in every sense) slasher, admittedly with some sketchy acting.

House on Sorority Row is a by-the-book, above-average-but-not-top-five 80's slaher with a good final chase. I can see not loving it, but I don't see hating it unless you hate the subgenre.

I guess my point is that if you dislike all of these intensely, what horror movies do you actually like?
I'm on this site so of course I love horror films. Since 2008 I bet I've watched more than 100 each year. These are the big ones I can't stand. Part of it might be that I didn't see them back in the day so I don't feel any nostalgia for them.

Phantasm - An incoherent mess that was poorly made.

They Live - I love the concept but thought Piper was terrible and at times it looked cheap. The finale was stupid.

Evil Dead - I didn't spend the 80's trying desperately to track this film down so I can't easily forgive the stupid Play-doh monster or mediocre effects.

City of the Living Dead - Compared to Fulci's Zombie, which I love, this is a snoozfest with one cool gore effect.

Maniac Cop - Wanted to love it but didn't. Despite my efforts, I'm not a fan of Lustig's films.

Madman - just didn't resonate with me.

House on Sorority Row - mindless slashers are my favorite horror subgenre. I didn't like the characters and wasn't blown away by the kills. Similar movies have done it better, including the remake.

Some favorites that I've watched recently:
Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Halloween (1978)
The Fantasist (1986)
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)
The Hazing (Dead Scared) (2004)
I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
The Last House on the Left (2009)
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009)
Night of the Creeps (1986)
The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)
Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (1988)
Sorority Row (2009)
High Tension (2003)
Head of the Family (1996)
Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
Dead Calm (1989)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
The Centerfold Girls (1974)
Blood Rage (Nightmare at Shadow Woods) (1987)
Deep Red (1975)
Dead & Buried (1981)
The Devil's Rock (2011)
Sorority House Massacre II (1990)
Psycho II (1983)
Zombie (1979)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
wow. really? that's one of my favorite movies.
In defense of BULLITT, I had watched VANISHING POINT months earlier and was blown away. Had I watched BULLITT first I might have been at least enjoyed the car chase.

Last edited by crikan; 02-20-2013 at 08:14 PM.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote