View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #22
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
There is a slight difference between chains and franchises. Big box stores (Walmart, Circuit City, Borders) are chains and they aren't locally owned. If the corporation that owns the store goes out of business then the store closes it's doors. However, places like fast food restaurants (McDonald's), convenience stores (7-Eleven) and hardware stores (True Value) are franchises, locally owned and licensed to sell a particular product from a specific supplier. They're tied to a nationally recognized chain, true, but in this situation if the Corporation goes bust the stores or restaurants can still stay open if they want to, they'll simply lose their license to that trademark and have to change their name. At least, that is my understanding.

If you live out in the middle of the boonies then mail order is your only option, same as it ever was. However, most locally owned stores (as in non-chains) if you live near one can easily order anything you want and often get it to you sooner than you would ordering it yourself, so using the excuse that what you want isn't sitting on the shelf is a bit of a cop out, no offense.

When it comes to companies like Code Red et al, the internet is a double edged sword. They have a host of other problems. Yeah, the internet allows for more people to know about their product, but it also allows for people to easily steal their product, too. Also, one reason that there are so few cult movie labels now is because they lost shelf space in stores to more mainstream product. A huge part of their profitability stemmed from being blind buys from store fronts. When Borders and Best Buys stopped stocking copies of their titles it really hit their bottom line.
What I meant was the people who own the 7-11 aren't always from your town, they just own the store there because it makes them money. So many places here are like that.

There's a huge difference between old style mail order and getting stuff off the internet, though. It's the same thing only at its most basic level. When I used to special order in movies years ago, they'd be $25-$30. The internet allows everyone to get things at a price point that is on par with what everyone else gets, so there's no comparison. The whole purpose of the retail store is to be able to go in and get it right away, so why would anyone go and order a DVD and pay a premium price through a mom & pop store when I can get it from a store online that has it in stock without even leaving my home once, let alone once to go and order it and again to pick it up, costing more in fuel and taking up time? It sucks, but there is a reason the mom & pop middle man in special ordering situations like that is being cut out because it is no longer necessary. If people in bigger centers are ordering online instead of going to the stores they have available, what does that tell you about how much better it is than going to physical stores? And if small town people can get the exact same service, products and prices as people in New York, it's winning all around. It'd be like riding a horse instead of driving a car.

Everything generally evolves into something better. When I was a teen buying albums, I fucking paid $20 per CD for a song or two I liked for the most part. Someone came along, re-invented the wheel and now I can buy those two songs for a dollar each? Fuck yeah, I'm doing that! Everyone would have done that before if given the chance, they just couldn't. And that just opens new jobs at the improved way of doing things, unfortunately the people involved in the old way lose theirs because it's no longer necessary. I just don't understand what difference it makes if people still are getting exactly what they want. To use video stores as an example, since everyone here has such fond memories... video stores back then totally sucked compared to what we have available now. It was great for its time, but that's it. If you wanted to see a movie you saw in a trailer at the beginning of a Wizard Video and the store didn't carry it, you were fucked. Now, it's a click away. How is that bad?

Piracy is an issue, but again, the companies just need to evolve. I doubt any genre label could make the money they do without all the free internet advertising they get just from being online and having people talking and surely they're not likely to get their products into stores, even if mom & pop ones were still around, even taking piracy into consideration. It's all just a different way of doing things and the different way of doing things creates new opportunities. So mom & pop stores went out of business, but now you can have your own small online stores, or put out your own movie or album on the net and sell it to people. You can even still get Zubaz pants online, and you can't tell me that company could still be in business if their website didn't reach out to the entire country so everyone who likes those pants has a chance to get them. So whoever runs the Zubaz pants website is basically a mom & pop store for that small group of people. Mom & Pop stores are all over the internet run by the same people with the same employees, just without a physical store. Doesn't mean they care any less or should be thought of as anything less. It's all the same thing, just done differently.