DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Great write ups
Thanks.

Quote:
Season 2 was where this show really peaked. From then on each Season had said great episodes but they were in between a lot of average to bad episodes.
Actually, I believe the show had few bad episodes. Lots of bad moments and a fair amount of bad talent, but the episodes evened out to a formula. And the formula was good for awhile. Saying it peaked in season 2 is really saying that season was a huge step-up from season 1 (which I think it was).

Quote:
I agree with these episodes all being near the bottom and not so great. I thought Carrion Death, Well Cooked Hams, Whirpool, Skin Deep and Half Way Horrible Only were really bad with Food for Thought and King of the Road being my least favourite episodes.
I haven't re-watched "King of the Road" in a while but I have re-watched the most memorable scene (screencapped in my summary) "them's the stakes," quite a few times. I think the acting was really good. And some people love stuff like Road House, so I take it easy on action-themed fare unless every minute was like a kick in the groin (Shocker).

Quote:
The few exceptions in your list, I actually remember liking The Ventriloquists Dummy as well to a lesser extent Strung Along, which had a lot of problems but was better then some of the others on your list.
I won't argue on "The Ventriloquist's Dummy." I know it's one of the better liked episodes and that doesn't bother me. It's just that so little of it works for what was intended. I didn't feel bad for the characters- I didn't care. Like I said, I believe it's the actors they chose. Making Don Rickles a pitiable figure in a goofball episode like this is a bad idea and not so surprisingly, it didn't work. Then, we have the "please don't crush my hopes and dreams, I'm fragile" Bobcat Goldthwait... who needs a lot more than a pair of glasses to pull off fragile. It's a weak story, there's no punch, there's no style, and the mutant-monster Morty is lame. As is the "shock" reveal that he's on Rickles' hand. It's cheap. I think I gave it more than enough credit with 2/5 stars.

Quote:
#60-41, pretty much agree with you on these, although I really liked The Switch and Undertaking Parlor (I forget is this oen fell apart in the end, don't remember).
Well, remembering my take on the general quality of the show and how much I think it delivers to fans even when it's not at its all-time best, I'd say I liked those two episodes quite a bit as well. Their ranks may seem a bit low but I have personal favorites ranked throughout- I didn't just save my favorites for the top 5-10 slots.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 03-06-2013 at 04:23 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote