View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #15
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Actually, I believe the show had few bad episodes. Lots of bad moments and a fair amount of bad talent, but the episodes evened out to a formula. And the formula was good for awhile. Saying it peaked in season 2 is really saying that season was a huge step-up from season 1 (which I think it was).
Well even the bad episodes were still enjoyable. This is a show I see myself going back to time and time again, and I'm sure I will watch every episode several times times.

Quote:
I haven't re-watched "King of the Road" in a while but I have re-watched the most memorable scene (screencapped in my summary) "them's the stakes," quite a few times. I think the acting was really good. And some people love stuff like Road House, so I take it easy on action-themed fare unless every minute was like a kick in the groin (Shocker).
I just remember it not feeling like a Tales from the Crypt episode, and not having much of a twist. I guess it makes sense considering this episode along with Yellow and Showdown were originally made to be apart of their new suspense anthology series "Two-Fisted Tales" that unfortunately never made it past the pilot episode.

Quote:
I won't argue on "The Ventriloquist's Dummy." I know it's one of the better liked episodes and that doesn't bother me. It's just that so little of it works for what was intended. I didn't feel bad for the characters- I didn't care. Like I said, I believe it's the actors they chose. Making Don Rickles a pitiable figure in a goofball episode like this is a bad idea and not so surprisingly, it didn't work. Then, we have the "please don't crush my hopes and dreams, I'm fragile" Bobcat Goldthwait... who needs a lot more than a pair of glasses to pull off fragile. It's a weak story, there's no punch, there's no style, and the mutant-monster Morty is lame. As is the "shock" reveal that he's on Rickles' hand. It's cheap. I think I gave it more than enough credit with 2/5 stars.
You're right it should have been better then it was and was was far from a great episode, I guess I am just an apologist for ventriloquist stories.

Quote:
Well, remembering my take on the general quality of the show and how much I think it delivers to fans even when it's not at its all-time best, I'd say I liked those two episodes quite a bit as well. Their ranks may seem a bit low but I have personal favorites ranked throughout- I didn't just save my favorites for the top 5-10 slots.
No worries, I'm not arguing and feel your scores have been fair, and I appreciate that you wrote why you feel the way you do. I really dug them that is all.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote