View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviniFan View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are asking when you say "push the envelope". When I hear that term used in horror, I generally think of films like August Underground, Nekromantik, A Serbian Film, etc. It seems you are speaking more along the lines of mainstream films and with that in mind, are you meaning in terms of creativity or actually stepping over the usual boundaries related to onscreen violence and nudity? You mentioned Friday The 13th Part 2 a couple of times, and as far as that film goes, there are films today that are mainstream and have full frontal nudity, like Piranha 3D or the My Bloody Valentine remake. There have been quite a few that have come up with some creative kills too since the 80's, films like Wrong Turn, the Saw series, Final Destination, and so on.

As far as creativity in the films themselves, it's rare that anything out of Hollywood takes a chance and most often you need to look to other avenues like foreign imports and independent films.
I couldn't think of a better term than "push the envelope." It's overused but I'm just looking for something new that makes you say this is the next horror movie. This is the movie that creatively goes beyond the others but isn't so disgusting like a Human Centipede (which I haven't seen). Were the Friday the 13th movies mainstream when they were released? I don't know. I haven't seen Piranha 3D or My Bloody Valentine 3D yet. I've heard good things. I missed seeing them in 3D and want to get a good sized 3D screen to see them.

I've heard about A Serbian Film. I watched a few reviews on youtube and read the wiki. It's definitely more gore and shock it seems. Not something I'm interested in. It goes too far. It's like a few scenes in Hatchet 1 & 2 when the pretty girls get maimed. I'll look into August Underground and Nekromantik. Never heard of those.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote