View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I couldn't think of a better term than "push the envelope." It's overused but I'm just looking for something new that makes you say this is the next horror movie. This is the movie that creatively goes beyond the others.
But that could be anything, couldn't it? Some have already mentioned foreign films that go places most Hollywood movies won't touch. I can tell you it's NOT 3-D. That's still a gimmick, not a real creative step. How about self-referential horror like Scream (or the far better and less-insulting Cabin in the Woods)? What about "found footage" like The Blair Witch Project? One could also "push the envelope" by re-creating an older era of horror successfully. I'm thinking of The Others (which really reminds me of Hammer-type films) or The House of the Devil (which if you didn't know any better you'd swear it was made in 1983).

It's a different era now. In those Friday the 13th days you speak of, that was pretty much the ONLY horror that existed; what got into the theaters. There were no film festivals, home video, YouTube, imports, etc. So the market is a little diluted and the "envelope pushers" often slip through the cracks. Takes a little more effort, and you have to sift through a lot of crap. But it's there if you look hard enough.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote