View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

I kind of liked Urban Legend. Cutting out the T&A factor left a lot of room for the script to deal with the jaded attitudes of young people at that time... actually, that plus the film's overall undertonal emphasis on humor rather than drama makes it the closest teen-slasher clone to Scream. Also- it cast easily the most sophisticated against-type choice to play their Sidney Prescott. Alicia Witt might not be the best crier but she was a completely unique and unpredictable casting decision. And if the opening segment of 1983's Nightmares sucked so much, the opening to this movie fixes it. Which reminds me- I enjoyed the death scenes in this movie. I wasn't rooting for the deaths in Scream (another sign of intelligence for that film- even though the characters were not supposed to be that likable) but I found myself mostly entertained by these killings without usually wanting to strangle the cast for being insanely obnoxious jackasses. (This of course went to hell by the time Valentine came along. What the fuck was that movie's problem?)

The original Last Summer on the other hand was a misery fest. The perfect example of what I outlined before- that thing squeezed so hard on the viewer to get them to feel bad for everyone in that story. Poor Barry is a college flunky even though he's physically flawless, poor Julie is flunking too because she feels guilty for being so physically flawless that she gave in to conformity, poor Ray is doomed to spend his whole life in Fishing Town because he's poor and physically flawless, poor Helen is doomed to spend her whole life getting bitched out by her physically flawless older sister and lost her modeling contract even though she was physically flawless and couldn't land an acting gig... even though she was physically flawless. Even Anne Heche was physically flawless but I bought her as being stuck in that town.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote