Thread: RIP Roger Ebert
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
Erick H.
HackMaster

While I often disagreed with Ebert's reviews,sometimes vehemently,on whole I respected him.He clealy LOVED film and his energy in supporting (or defending) a film he liked was infectious.
The "anti horror" thing was somewhat misleading.In general Ebert was not a slasher fan because he felt the films were misogynistic,an avowed feminist he didn't like the idea of woman being paraded around on screen and then carved up.Saying that,he was the first major critic to admit to liking HALLOWEEN (gave it 4 stars) and really helped break that film to a wider audience.Some controversial horror films he LOVED (he was an unabashed fan of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT,in fact his review was used in ads for the film,a film you could argue was MORE abusive of woman than any slasher).While he gave what seemed like a damning review of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD it seems he was MOSTLY outraged by the fact that it was being double billed in many locals with DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS,a "G'' rated sci-fi film.His current star rating of NIGHT is actually quite high.Ebert championed Brian DePalma and gave great reviews to stuff like Larry Cohen's Q and famously LOATHED the infamous I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.Honestly,he was all over the map on horror.When he liked something he wasn't afraid to support it,even when it was controversial.In fact the last review of his that I read prior to his death was a rave review for Harmony Korine's current SPRING BREAKERS,which is shaping up to be one of the most controversial films of the year.

While I often differed with him on opinions,even some beliefs,I respected that he stood his ground for what he believed in.I may not agree with you,but if you can make a heartfelt argument for your opinion,one that doesn't resort to an obnoxious rant,I can respect you.I respected Roger Ebert.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote