View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #39
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Most of the background is pulled from the "Book of Enoch" - an apocryphal text that describes the second fall of the angels. The second Prophecy movie pulls even more from this book. This book was also a big influence on the band Fields of the Nephilim.

The TV show Supernatural deals with this whole angels' war as a main plot line for the bulk of the show. And I highly recommend it, but it may not hook you in the first season. But by the start of the second season, they dig their heals into the story and really let it rip.

As for other similar movies, there's also The Seventh Sign, End of Days, and Constantine. But, I'd also argue that none of them are really as good or as well researched as Prophecy. Oh, and Kevin Smith's "Dogma" is another pretty good interpretation of this whole sort of thing. Even if it is played more for laughs, it is pretty well researched and thought provoking as well.

And, while it's not a horror story, the book "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is sort of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Apocalypse" that is very well researched, a very interesting take on the Revelations of John, and really damned funny. While I have no proof, I am pretty confident that whoever made Prophecy must have, at least, been aware of this book.
About a year before The Prophecy was released, I attended a horror convention where Gregory Widen (director/writer) was pushing the movie. He was on stage showing clips from the still unfinished film.

For the life of me I can't remember if he said anything about the Book of Enoch, just said stuff about the bible in general. Not saying for sure he didn't mentioned Enoch, it's that I just don't remember that part. I recall him turning the crowd AFTER he showed some small clips, because in the beginning of his presentation, the crowd imo didn't seem that interested in a biblical horror movie. Also I remember Widen being very enthusiastic about explaining the whole "perching" by the actors. Seemed very proud of that little addition to the movie. Too bad he never directed any more films. I thought he did a good job for a first movie. Just went back to writing where he was more comfortable I guess.

Last edited by baggio; 04-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote