View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #32
Paff

I thought Dave had a copy of Encyclopedia of Horror, as he reviewed it here on the site. And actually, it may not even be "bootlegging" to get a DVD-R of it. Don't quote me, but there's this thing called the "Berne Act" where if a movie is not released in the US, it's essentially considered public domain and free to be copied. I'm probably murdering the legal definition of the Berne Act there, but it's something like that. I think that's one of the reasons (there are others) they created region coding in the first place. So that even if a movie fell under the Berne Act, people couldn't just get import copies. I dunno, I'm kinda guessing at that.

I do remember that back in the early 90s, there were a lot of people making tapes of laserdiscs of foreign movies. That was where you got your Argento, Fulci, and Hong Kong flicks. The reputable sites would remove titles from their catalogs the moment an official US release came out.

Which by the way, brings up another bonus of laserdisc: No Macrovision or HDCP in place to prevent copying! Not that I advocate bootlegging discs, but making your own copies onto DVD for personal use is perfectly legal.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote