View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I think most of us have learned lessons with our DVD purchasing over the years. DVD was such a new and innovative format, whereas Blu-Ray is the same, just turbocharged. We know that prices drop on most of them in a few months. We know that companies will re-release the classic stuff every couple of years with new extras and more frills. We know that we bought a bunch of DVDs that we don't watch and we don't want to repeat the same thing with Blus. I have only bought movies on Blu that I LOVE or that I've found cheap and want to see again or that I've never bought on DVD. I always check www.blu-ray.com for reviews as well, if it is an older film. If it is a recent film I've seen and want to own, I usually wait for the price to go down. On some occasions, I've bought newer films that I didn't get to see in the theater, since I figured it was cheaper than bringing the family to see it anyway. When I do that, it is something I've heard a lot of good things about and figure I'll want to own. But, I've been very selective on what I buy. That being the case, Shout Factory wants to kill me financially. They are releasing a lot of titles I'd like to upgrade, but as others have said, I look at how much I watch those titles and figure I'll wait. They are releasing a few I've never owned in any format and really want a copy of as well, because I've owned bad or bootleg copies and know I'll enjoy an upgrade, like Incredible melting Man.

I still buy a ton of DVDs because of price point. They still look damn good and at under $3 a pop, I'm not spending a lot. Blus on the other hand are a lot more expensive and something I won't really buy used unless they are at a $5 price point, because I figure they'll come down to $10 or less new soon enough. Yes, Blus look better, but realistically DVDs look really good too with few exceptions. Older films really need to stun me to upgrade.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote