View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #828
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
My wife and I saw Iron Man 3 tonight. I feel no shame in saying that i've been enjoying the summer superhero films we've been having lately. The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises were both a lot of fun last year. My expectations for this one were a little muted, though. After seeing it, I'm having a really hard time deciding how I feel about it. Outside of The Incredible Hulk, this is without a doubt the weakest of the Avengers films. But it still accomplishes what it aims for, though. The funny scenes are, indeed, funny, and the action scenes are appropriately thrilling. But ultimately I still feel pretty disappointed by what it seemed like it could have been, but ultimately wasn't.

(fair warning, the spoilers below are real spoilers - I'm talking about the end of the film and various other big revelations here)
Spoiler:
There were a few issues I had, like the the lack of Iron Man screen time, and the presence of the kid sidekick, and the ridiculous regenerating people that felt completely out of place in the universe established in the first two (I know that this exists in the same universe as the avengers and all that aliens/gods/monsters business, but Iron Man was always more grounded, and this just felt a bit too silly). But I could have gotten past all of those, were it not for the fact that the villain we are given is in no way shape or form as interesting as the villain we are promised. I wanted to see Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. That's what I wanted. He was menacing, he was evil, he was clouded in mystery and had a gravitas and presence that was really arresting. And then its all wasted on a cheap joke, which has been done before. Guy Pierce claiming he's "the real mandarin" at the end just doesn't cut it. No, he's not the mandarin. He's a crazy regenerating scientist. I really, really wanted to see Iron Man take on Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. I was really bummed out by that. I suppose its a credit to all the actors involved that I was able to get over that disappointment and still relatively enjoy the movie. It's still not a bad movie, by any means. But it's disappointing because there was a much, much better movie to be had there.

ok, now on to Star Trek. Hopefully that turns out a little more satisfying.
I would say I am a fairly big comic book fan, even though I don't read as much now as I used to, but what they did with
Spoiler:
Mandarin
was insulting, it just ruined the movie for me. How they could take a character like that
Spoiler:
Pretty much what the Joker is to Batman
and totally bastardize him was unforgivable. It's too bad as like you said, they set him up so well. The first half of the movie is actually really good but then it all just falls apart. The volcanic bad guys were really lame in my opinion, and don't even get me started on Gwyneth Paltrow at the end. This was my least favourite movie of the Marvel films, and I would go as far as to say that it sits up there with X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3 as the movie to kill my interest in the series.

I have always been a Marvel fan but I have to admit, I will take what DC is doing with the Nolan Batman flicks and the upcoming Superman (Which looks amazing!) over the popcorn flicks that Marvel is putting out. It seems like Marvel is more worried about selling toys then putting out films with any substance behind them. Again, it's hard saying that being a Marvel fan, and I'm excited to see how they handle Guardians of the Galaxy, but to me they are all just starting to blend together as movies with great CGI and action scenes but not much else. It didn't help Iron Man 3 that we just seen the Avengers a year ago. I'm not a fan of Superman at all really, but they have sold me on that film. Its trailers alone deliver more emotion and substance then all of Iron Man 3.

I would love to see Marvel go the more serious route with some of their street level characters such as Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, ect. now that they got the rights to them back. Deliver something that has something to say, that you can talk about afterwards instead of trying to make a movie for kids. Obviously with how much money Iron Man 3 has made that probably won't happen, but it would sure be nice considering these days comics are more read by people my age then kids.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote