View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #30
shape22
HackMaster

I found this to be a step down from Insidious. It's so similar that I felt a serious sense of deja vu--and not in a good way.

Both films really fall off the cliff in the third act. Wan just doesn't know when to stop. I thought Insidious got off to a great start before it went off the rails with the goofy tonal shift. But I found the last third of The Conjuring even less appealing. It completely disintegrates into noisy special effects overdrive. The best ghost stories don't over-do it. The end of The Conjuring is like a WWF version of The Legend of Hell House or The Changeling. It was way too manic and overwrought for my liking.

In the end I don't think either film is very good. But Insidious has the better boo scares--which seem to be Wan's specialty. Nothing in The Conjuring is as effective as that face in the window. And Insidious seems to unfold a little more naturally. The Conjuring ultimately tries a little too hard for my liking. There's no doubt that it's a more tonally consistent work than Insidious. But it seems like an extension of the same material, themes, and techniques. I found them all less effective the 2nd time around. And although I didn't think it was possible The Conjuring offers up an ending that's even more hokey and unsatisfying.

Maybe Ti West can teach this guy some restraint.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote