View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Nah I don't buy that. First of all most woman I know don't fear the world as much as you might think. Secondly we all loved horror as Kids and as kids we were way more vulnerable to external, rational and irrational fears. Yet we couldn't get enough of it in movies.
I think either you misunderstood me or I didn't make my point clearly. Probably the latter. I don't mean that more women are afraid of the world. Just that they have more things to be afraid of than men. Example, 1 in 5 women have been sexual assaulted. For men, it's 1 in 30. So fear of rape is something that more women are aware of in their daily life than men are.

The point is more that experience can define our aesthetic tastes. Someone who has lived with real fear may not find fictional fear to be enjoyable. My ex-wife lived in Timisoara during the Romanian Revolution of 1989. And she is now a bit touchy about watching some sorts of violence and doesn't understand why anyone would think that is "fun." And this has nothing to do with her being a woman, it has to do with her having to hide in the bathtub when the tanks were in the street and bullets where flying through the walls and windows.

So, acknowledging that women in the US are still victimized more frequently than men and generally have some more real concerns about fear than I do, I can simply understand why a woman (or anyone, really) would be less likely to enjoy watching people get victimized on film.
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote