View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #84
Paff

As I mentioned in the October viewing thread, I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I'm a bit zombied out. Everything is zombie nowadays. There's zombie walks, zombie runs, hell I just watched an episode of Bar Rescue where they turned the bar into a zombie bar.

And as much as I don't like running zombies, I think it worked in the context of this movie. Especially since they weren't trying to make a horror movie per se, but more of an action/adventure thing. What I liked most were the varying locations and scenes, instead of it just being a small group on the run and/or barricading themselves from the zombies (which let's face it, describes about 95% of all zombie movies)

I saw the Netflix version, which I guess is not what was seen in the theaters. Even if it were the theatrical version, I wouldn't mind. I've seen more than enough zombie gore scenes in my life. Not that I'm against seeing more of course, I just don't think there's anything I haven't seen at this point. It was interesting and fresh the first time as a teenager that I saw a zombie tear into Roger's wounded leg as he climbs into the Scirrocco in Dawn of the Dead, but it just doesn't have the same impact anymore. I'd rather have a fresh story with no gore than a tired old retread of zombie mythos with gross-out effects.

I still need to read the book though. Had it for years, and it was signed by Max Brooks...

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote