Thread: You're Next
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
Maybe it is just me but I really don't get all the hype surrounding this film because I thought it was just ok. If anything this is Adam Wingard's best film to date, but that is not saying too much. Homesick was barely watchable and cringe worthy throughout, A Horrible Way To Die was descent but had an incredibly absurd ending, and his contributing segments to V/H/S, V/H/S/2, and The ABC's Of Death left a lot to be desired. As far as You're Next goes, it is a step in the right direction but I'm still not sold on his abilities as a director. There is a lot of really good gore, the masks worn by the killers are very creepy and the twist ending was well done. But what really baffles me is whether or not the film was suppose to be scary or darkly funny. Considering how over the top and "Home Alone" esque the kills were conflicts with the very serious tone of the film as a whole. Also there were a number of scenes that just drove me nuts with the level of stupidity invloved from a writing stand point.

Overall I thought You're Next was mediocre. (6/10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
So many great points and I felt the same way. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it for what it was. No classic, but entertaining!
Agree with both of you. I thought it was just okay, but not worth all of the hype. I've heard people describe it as a horror comedy, but I didn't find it funny at all, other then the dumb decisions. And the acting was awful! Not a fan of all these young Directors starring in each other's films. That being said, it had some fun ideas and some decent kills, and the masks were definitely cool.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote